The Waltons

The Ordeal (2)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 16, 1978 on CBS

4.7
  • The Night Trip

This isn't as strong as the first half, but that's pretty normal for these feature-length episodes. In this hour, we get to see Elizabeth come home from hospital, struggle on her crutches for a bit, then make the swift and unaided recovery we were all expecting from the start. I was hoping for something a little more exciting when she and Amy ran off in the dead of night to see the crazy herb lady, but all we get is an ointment that doesn't work.

One thing I will say is that it's a lovely performance from Kami. In the whole episode, I think I only saw her move her legs once. That's not bad going. Elizabeth seems pretty chilled about the whole thing, to be honest. The only time she truly looks hurt is watching Amy ride around on her pony. To be fair, Amy is really annoying in this episode.

It's so good to see Ben's pony cart again. I confess I thought the props department had probably dismantled it some time ago, but here it is, unscathed and relevant to the plot. Nice work! I'm also loving Jason's manic dancing. I'm less sure about the hot spring. I mean, how hot can it be with all that dry ice erupting out of the water?

As so often, the episode winds up very quickly once the problem is overcome. Jim Bob commands Elizabeth to walk... and lo! She does! If the air force won't have him, there's a great job waiting for him as a preacher.