The Waltons

The Outsider

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 01, 1979 on CBS

• Little Red Gets Wed

Brilliant stuff! Just when it seems the family is falling apart, Ben slinks off to Maryland and returns with a bride. Good for you, mate! His actions come as a genuine surprise, not only to the viewers but to the remaining Waltons, who react with a wall of silence. Ben has always had something of a naughty streak, and perhaps he should have made his plans known, but I did feel very sorry for him. Not one person said anything nice when he arrived; he didn't even get a smile. He looked so hurt as he was making Cindy's breakfast the next day.

As for the bride, she's certainly very likeable. Even John warms to her in the end. Her red convertible does seem to cause quite a stir though: 'red hat, no drawers' as my grandma would have said. I'm also surprised she and Ben start arguing quite so soon. That said, the scene with the broom is good value, if a little corny. Cindy will be with us for the rest of the series, of course, so I'd imagine the writers will try to blend her in as soon as they can after this.

I've just one gripe. During his rant at breakfast, John says: "Ben, we just don't do things like that in this This couldn't be farther from the truth. John and Olivia famously ran off to get married. Chad and Erin very nearly did the same thing. John-boy broke off his engagement at the last minute, while Mary Ellen dumped David and married Curt on almost the same day. We've yet to see any of the Waltons go through with a normal engagement!