The Waltons

The Parting

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 18, 1979 on CBS

• The Beach

John's looking a bit run down, so he and Olivia take a break by the sea. Olivia then learns she has a (clearly very) mild case of TB, so she must leave the mountain to recover. It's not the raciest story, but seeing as its main purpose is to get Michael Learned out of the show for the rest of the season, it does provide a believable way for this to happen.

We've seen J&O spend time in Richmond before, so I'm not sure why the others make such a big deal of it this time. That said, I did like the beach trip; J&O are such kids when they're on their own. Olivia looks like a naughty schoolgirl in her beach outfit, though John does let the side down in his old rags. Come on, mate. You've got the money: get yourself some new togs!

I didn't get the doctor at all. He clearly suspects Olivia has an infectious disease yet he sends her back to her family nonetheless. That's pretty irresponsible. It's left to Aunt Kate to drive over and tell her the bad news.

Subplots. Elizabeth learns to bake cakes while Jim Bob learns the accordion. Both are pretty hopeless. Best scene by far comes when JB startles Ben with his instrument then falls over trying to climb the stairs. There's even a mention of his Swedish supermodel girlfriend, Tanya. Don't think she'll be too impressed with him this week.