The Waltons

The Pin-Up

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 08, 1979 on CBS

• The Photographer

Mary Ellen becomes an over-protective mother, while Erin unwittingly becomes a bootcamp babe. Both stories have equal airtime, though neither has much to do with the other.

I'll do Mary Ellen first. She leaves John Curtis at home and heads to work in the usual way. Then, at the hospital, she hears a baby has died and immediately starts to panic. Her siblings do not understand and they take great offence when she takes their nephew away from them. The change is a little sudden, though it's good to see JC treated as a person rather than a prop for once: this is probably the most we've seen of him since he was born.

Erin's story develops after Ben takes a picture of her and sends it to the local rag. The paper prints it, and Erin becomes the sweetheart of Camp Lee. John is not amused, not least when he spots Erin's picture on the wall of his client's office. Erin gets shedloads of fanmail, then gets invited to appear at the camp. This story had a lot of promise, but frustratingly, we never find out how it ends, as the episode runs out of time before Erin gets to Camp Lee. Instead of seeing her fend off the squaddies, we get several minutes of tedious letter-reading.

There is one cool scene where a young squaddie kisses Erin in the street for a dare, then runs straight into John. But aside from this, the acting is notably below par. With so many main characters missing, the old dynamic simply isn't there. That said, it is good to see David again. Anybody else wish he and Mary Ellen had married?