The Waltons

The Rebellion

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 23, 1976 on CBS

• The Perm

A lovely, light-hearted episode that features not one, but two Walton rebellions. In the first, Olivia is feeling fed up with routine, so she resolves to get a new look. She chooses a permanent wave. Michael Learned puts on a big, curly wig, and the rest is pure comedy. Even Michael herself struggles to keep a straight face. The sight of her in that chair at Corabeth's salon is priceless. Esther's reaction just about sums it up: "Good Lord!"

Meanwhile, Esther has a major strop when she finds Reverend Fordwick has asked a woman named Zelda Maynard to play the organ on Sundays. Zelda is Zuleika Dunbar take two: she throws herself headlong at Zeb and she even lives at Flossie's. Absolutely brilliant! I may be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing Esther play the church organ. It's always been Jason in the past. Perhaps she plays it on the weeks when the church isn't shown. Not that it matters: her threat to become a Methodist had me on the floor laughing.

This is the last episode to feature Matt Fordwick, so it's farewell to the excellent John Ritter and his wonderful smile. Sunday mornings will never be the same.

Lastly, I note Rachel Longaker has a decent score on the list of MVP. This comes despite not appearing in the episode. Fair play to you, Rachel.