The Waltons

The Recluse

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 1977 on CBS

• The Apprentice

Another year, another Walton off to the city in search of work. This time round it's Ben, and like his father in 'The Departure', his chosen destination is Norfolk. He wanders into a workshop, announces he is looking for a job and is told his shift starts that evening. Even by Walton standards, that is seriously impressive.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Ben in Norfolk. That Hawaiian bar was class, despite the wooden acting from his roommate. Did Zeb really hitchhike all the way there just to go for a drink with him? Wow! Of course, Ben's departure coincides with a huge order arriving at the mill, so you know he'll be home by the end of the hour. I'm still sad he had to leave his new life behind though.

Meanwhile... Jason befriends a reclusive young widow named Fern and persuades her to rejoin the world. This is downright weird. While Walton's Mountain does have more than its fair share of worldshy households, the others at least contain more than one person. What on Earth does Fern do all day? There's no telly, no internet, no phone. I would like to say it's a nice performance from Jon Walmsley, but he doesn't seem to know what to make of it either.

None of the girls has any lines on screen. Erin and Elizabeth get to join in the goodnights at the end, but poor Mary Ellen gets nothing at all. I did like Olivia's scene with John in the woodshop. "Show me what I can do to help. Show me!"