The Waltons

The Reunion

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 14, 1972 on CBS

• The Bootleg Cousin

Not for the first time, the Baldwins are hoodwinked by one of their dastardly cousins who want to make off with their famous recipe. Rather than pinch the machine, however, this latest kinsman steals a wagonful of jars and flogs them to a beauty therapist. (Yes, I did mean to type 'beauty therapist').

It was kind of obvious nobody would turn up for the Baldwins' reunion, but it was sad nonetheless. Luckily, the Walton rent-a-crowd is on hand to save the day. Interestingly, they will use this exact same scenario for the series finale, complete with all the returned invitations.

I do love seeing Grandpa drunk. Will Geer looks as if he is made for the role. John-boy looked suitably awkward watching from the doorway. Top marks all round. Ep's position is also tricky: he has to tread a fine line between upholding the law and being a friend to the Waltons. Classy performance from John Crawford.

I thought they might have made more of Mary-Ellen's playground fight, but it didn't go anywhere at all. That fat kid was right though: Jim Bob's shirt did look like a blouse.