The Waltons

The Revel

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jun 04, 1981 on CBS

6.1
  • The Typewriter

So, here we are at the end of the regular series. I would say the children have grown up fast, but in truth, it feels like a very, very long time since I first reviewed 'The Foundling'. Bare feet and dungarees have given way to checked shirts and jeans, and the classroom has been traded for the battlefield. What began as a household of eleven with one car and one source of income now boasts five cars (six until Jim Bob sold his) and five separate salaries. I think we can safely say they made it through the Depression.

This week's offering is more a last instalment than a finale. The revel in question is the Baldwins' school reunion. In terms of plot, it's a carbon copy of Season One's 'The Reunion', complete with returned invitations and the Walton rent-a-crowd. Although the cast have claimed they were unaware the show was being cancelled, the script seems to have been written with this in mind, and the sisters' closing speech is a really quite moving summary of what made the show so popular. Mamie's line, "We have not been so much participants in life, as observers", is a real gem, and is something I think we can all relate to at times.

In stark contrast to the cutesy title plot, John-boy heads back to New York to rekindle his writing career. Things don't go as planned, however. Our hero has a torrid time and returns to Virginia penniless and humiliated. It's a strange way for the show's central character to sign off, but most fans don't regard Robert Wightman as the true John-boy anyway, so I doubt they're all that bothered. I liked his mate, Mike, and I loved the ratty old landlady.

The others don't have a lot to do, so they spend their time arguing about who gets to move into J&Os' old room. I don't know why they're scrapping when there's a spare room downstairs; now Rose is married, she'll presumably be living with Stanley.

For the only time in the series, Earl Hamner's narration breaks the third wall and speaks directly to the audience, wishing us all 'goodnight' as the house fades from view. It's a smart way to end the series. Just the movies to go now!

Pick of the bunch: Narrator (Earl Hamner)

Alternate title: The Typewriter