The Waltons

The Romance

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 10, 1974 on CBS

• The Art Class

First up, it's nice to see an Olivia-themed episode for a change. I knew there had to be more to life than cooking, sewing and fretting. This week's story sees her join an evening class for artists, only for her tutor, Joshua, to take a less than subtle shine to her.

To get to the class, John-boy teaches Olivia to drive. Her first driving lesson is hilarious. That's some skill to drive at that speed round the garden without hitting anyone or anything. Luckily, she picks it up in no time at all and has her license by the end of the week. Ah, the good old days!

I didn't think much of the bloke playing Joshua, although I note he went on to become quite a prolific actor. His affection for Olivia seems very forced and there's no chemistry whatsoever.

Esther is even more crabby than usual this week, spouting on about how women should stay at home and do dishes. Must be great fun to play a character like this.

And Mary Ellen now wants to become a doctor. This is an idea she'll stick with for the rest of the series, although we'll have to wait until the TV movies for it to happen. What was with that annoying boyfriend though? Come on Mary Ellen, you can do better than that. Bring back GW!