The Waltons

The Roots

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 11, 1973 on CBS

7.4
  • Verdie Adopts a Son (Part I)

Yeah, this is good. Not especially focused on the Waltons but highly engaging and very watchable. If there is a second family in this series then it's the Fosters, and this episode sees Harley, Verdie and Jody get together for the first time.

It's hard to believe this is only the second time we've seen Verdie Grant. I'm glad the writers brought her back after her starring role in 'The Scholar' - she could easily have become another Gino or Cousin Polonius. As before, she is sweetness personified until she decides to get on her high horse (this time over Jody's schooling) and has a blazing row with her future husband, Harley. So far this season, the continuity has been excellent. Top marks!

Verdie and Harley Foster make a pretty good couple, with Jody providing the perfect ready-made son (isn't there an actress called Jody Foster?). Verdie does come across as a little too keen to begin with, but Harley plays suitably hard to get. I'm glad they didn't end the episode with another rushed wedding.

The peach picking provides a good start to the show. I don't get why Ben said he was only twelve when he is clearly older than that (Eric Scott was nearly fifteen when this episode was made). Kids at that age talk their ages up, not down, especially when they're looking to get paid.

Zeb, Esther and Olivia hardly get a look in this week. Olivia does pull a brilliant face at Esther though when they are shelling peas in the kitchen. Definitely not part of the script!

Pick of the bunch: Harley Foster (Hal Williams)

Alternate title: The Courtship