The Waltons

The Rumor

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 05, 1978 on CBS

• The Germans (Part V)

A surprisingly touching episode, despite some fairly heavy-handed writing. This is the latest in a very long line of 'stranger shows up on Walton's Mountain' stories, and it features a German named Willie, his wife and his kid. As usual, the Waltons treat them like kin, while everyone else is suspicious. We'll never know what Esther would have made of them, but it probably would have given the episode a worthy twist.

I did like the bloke who played Willie, though it would have been nice if he hadn't shouted every line he was given. The script has him as Flossie Brimmer's brother-in-law, though he must be at least thirty years younger than the late Mr Brimmer. Either that, or Flossie was one heck of a cougar. Just as in The Firestorm, the good folk of WM don't take too kindly to the Germans, and just as in The Firestorm, Buck Vernon is stirrer-in-chief. Elizabeth unwittingly fans the flames by repeating some things she shouldn't, but I can't imagine things would have turned out differently if she hadn't. The appearance of a lynch mob outside John's mill is a little alarming, but it would have been far more intimidating if we'd actually seen any of these men before.

Elizabeth befriends Willie's daughter and, between them, they take in an aged dog. Zeb reckons the dog just wants to be left alone to die, and there's a rather poignant moment when he and the hound share a parting glance in the woods.

In the end, the Brimmers commandeer a cabin in the woods and, like so many before them, settle down to become valued members of the community. In true Waltons style, we never see any of them again.