The Waltons

The Scholar

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 22, 1973 on CBS

7.4
  • The Big Secret

Really good theme this week. Having John-boy teach Verdie to read makes an excellent storyline and it's handled very sensitively. I'm not sure how she has managed to keep her lack of letters a secret for so long but let's not worry about that for now.

Verdie is a very believable character and I'm glad the producers decided to keep her on for the rest of the series. She could so easily have been just another one-episode wonder. I did think her reaction to Miss Hunter finding out her secret was rather over the top. Whilst providing some good drama in the middle of the episode, it did tarnish her character a little.

What else? Oh yes: Erin has her tonsils out and Olivia and Esther go to Richmond for a wedding. Both these give Verdie a reason to be around the house so top marks for that. Erin's bell made me laugh. How annoying must that have been for the others?

And we get to meet young Henry Wagaman. Oh look! Another thirties kid with a seventies hairstyle. Send for the scissors!