The Waltons

The Search

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 01, 1976 on CBS

6.6
  • The Teddy Bear's Picnic

Snakes! Bears! Grumpy women in hats! It's dangerous out in those woods...

Joking aside, this is a decent effort with a rare focus on Olivia and her two youngest children. It's not often the characters get put in the way of actual harm, so credit to the writers for this. That said, we all know the episode won't end with them still in the woods, which does tend to take the sting out of it.

The action is nicely set up, with a reason for the car going off the road and a reason for Olivia, Jim Bob and Elizabeth getting lost. The bootleggers' shack provides some genuine tension. I honestly thought the Waltons were going to end up shackled in the basement or something, so being dropped off down an old track must rate as something of a let off.

There's a neat split among the other characters, with the men conducting the search while Esther and the girls stay at home and pray. The episode also features a guest actor named Red Currie. Do you think he has a brother named Thai Green?

I couldn't end without a word on young Jim Bob. This is one of several 'coming of age' episodes for him. It begins with him being teased by his brothers as the baby of the family but ends with him as the hero of the tale, hunting for supper and setting the markers that help them get found. Fending off bears with a stone though? I don't think so.