The Waltons

The Seashore

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 20, 1977 on CBS

2.7
  • The Germans (Part IV)

I wish this show would stop going on about the war. It's not as if we should even be there yet. Season five was plodding along nicely in 1937, then we spent four episodes each in '38 and '39 and now it's the middle of 1940! And to cap it all off, it'll be 1939 again next week. Go suss!

The story is basically a rerun of 'The Hiding Place', complete with creepy British woman denying her German connections. I was kind of hoping Lisa would turn out to be a German spy or something, but instead she's just a student with no place to go. At one point, she and Jason are hauled in for questions by the coastguard, but sadly this goes nowhere. The scene where she starts telling porkies to Jason while playing the piano is truly bizarre. Why would Lisa lie about her father's musical connections when she knows Jason has studied classical music? To anybody who may read this, I would like to point out that not all Brits behave or speak like this!

I do like the seaside setting. It makes a great change from the house and I love that most of the cast get to take part. Jason looks very cool delivering his lines, particularly sitting on that fence. Did I ever say I like his voice? I like his voice.

At his own suggestion, Ben stays behind to look after the house then moans about his chores. Limited sympathy for him on this front. More understandably, he doesn't like that his neighbours keep dropping round when he's trying to get it on with Darlene. That said, if he wants privacy, why not go round to Darlene's? We know her father has moved out. That scene in front of the mirror is class though. How much aftershave?