The Waltons

The Star

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 19, 1972 on CBS

• The Wrath of Judge Baldwin

Well, there's certainly plenty going on in this episode. Two main plots, a subplot and a whole load of mumbo jumbo around a falling star.

It's not the greatest start. The 'twilight' scene in the garden is very obviously filmed in bright sunlight with a lens filter. They do this a lot on this show, but here it looks particularly fake. I also would have thought a meteorite of the size shown would do more than just dent the Baldwin's floor, but hey, I'm no expert.

Cousin Polonius is good fun, even if he does sound like a contagious disease. How gullible are the Baldwin sisters though? Do they really believe their dead father is hurling rocks at them from outer space? I thought he was a judge, not a thundergod. It made for some interesting dialogue though. Upon seeing the star, Zeb decides his time is up so he takes to his deathbed. None of his kin has much sympathy. This notion of waiting to die is something they will come back to in later episodes, both for Zeb and for Mamie Baldwin.

Ben gets a cute subplot in which he wins a spelling contest. (Sorry, I can't bring myself to call it a spelling 'bee'). The girl he is up against is Nancy Madden, who will later give him so much trouble in 'The Lie'. Eric must have fainted when he read the script and saw he had more than two lines.

This is the first episode not to feature Ep Bridges, although the mere mention of his name is enough to see off Cousin Polonius. What a guy!

Pick of the bunch: Ben Walton (Eric Scott)

Alternate title: The Moonshiner

Score: 8.2

• When a meteorite falls through the Baldwin sister's home, Zeb decides he's going to die. Also, the Baldwin's cousin tries to convince them the Recipe maker is evil and he should take it off their hands.

7.2
    A very strange episode indeed. I don't understand how Zeb would think a falling star would mean he has to die, and he thinks that same thing in numerous other episodes (all before season 7 of course)It's funny when John confronts his dad and calls him weak. But that doesn't do anything, until of course he tells him that the Baldwins are giving away their recipe maker, making him some how totally rejuvenated and he races to stop the evil cousin from stealing the bootleg (but don't tell the Baldwins that it's bootleg!). I sorta recamend this episode~ Old Shows Finatic.