The Waltons

The Starlet

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 18, 1979 on CBS

3.2
  • The Hairpiece

Not for the first time, Erin gets a crazy notion in her head, only to ditch it by the end of the hour. It's certainly a better story than last week, and Erin's change of heart comes so late, you do wonder whether she might just go through with her plan.

It all comes about when a film crew turns up to shoot a wartime propaganda piece at the Pickett plant. Erin isn't having it, so the director puts her in the film and offers her the prize of a glittering career in the movies. Before you can say, "Mary Ellen should have married David", Erin is hunting for jobs in Hollywood.

Our secondary plot sees Jason suggest to the Baldwins that some of his army mates might like to go to theirs for tea. I'm not sure what he was thinking here. Why on Earth would a bunch of young lads want to hang out with a couple of dotty old women they don't even know? Unsurprisingly, there are no takers until Jason threatens them with kitchen duty.

I laughed out loud at JD's wig. Again, I'm not sure what he was thinking, but it made me smile. I'm also enjoying the lack of Jeffrey and Serena this week. The film director is suitably smarmy, and the way he snogs Erin when he leaves is downright creepy. Of course, we're led to believe the director is just stringing Erin along to keep her quiet. We don't actually know this, however. Perhaps he really does think Hollywood beckons for Miss Walton No.2. We shall never know.

Pick of the bunch: Erin Walton (Mary McDonough)

Alternate title: The Prize