The Waltons

The Statue

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 13, 1975 on CBS

• The Appalachian Journal

A definite tale of two halves this week, with John-boy writing a less-than-subtle story about Emily Baldwin, and Zeb winning a tasteless statue in a raffle.

I'll do John-boy first. First up, I like the reference at the beginning to the rejection slips. I'm guessing Earl Hamner has been there himself. There's also a great range of emotions from Richard once again. Much as John-boy longs to be published, he seems genuinely to care for Emily's feelings. That last scene, where he reads his completed work to the sisters, is very touching.

Zeb's story provides the lighter side of the episode. It goes without saying that Esther disapproves. To be fair to her, the statue is pretty hideous, and Zeb makes it very clear it reminds him of a former girlfriend, which is less than tactful. I did like the 'funeral' they gave it at the end, although I do wonder what Zeb will say when the Baldwins notice it is missing.

We also get to see Ike and Corabeth kissing for about the only time on the whole show. I'm sorry, but it looks so unnatural. I just don't have them down as that kind of husband and wife, and to be fair, I don't think they do either!