The Waltons

The Test

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 05, 1976 on CBS

• Opportunity Knocks

A good storyline with a slightly disappointing outcome. This week's offering sees Olivia take a dressmaking job in Westham, only to have her throw it away at the end of the episode in favour of yet more housework. It reminds me of 'The Bicycle', where she gave up singing in the choir for much the same reason. Don't get me wrong, I do understand that Olivia is supposed to be this perfect mother and housewife, but it would have been great for her to have gone to New York or at least carried on with the job a little longer. With four of her children sixteen or over, she hardly needs to be around them all the time. That said, the job - while it lasts - provides a decent story, and it's good to see Olivia find a friend her own age. Nice performance too from Michael Learned.

There is also a strong subplot which sees Maude Gormley get sent to an old folks' home in Westham, only for her to escape and find her way back to the Mountain. It's quite a touching story, and Esther is clearly rattled by the thought. I didn't even know they had old folks' homes in those days. Perhaps they were a new thing.

As for the children, it's a quiet week all round. Erin appears in only one scene and she doesn't utter a word. Mary Ellen gets to model Olivia's handiwork, while the boys find their dog stuck in a treehouse and lower it to the ground in a sling. Good ol' country fun - even if the dog does look mightily unimpressed.