The Waltons

The Theft

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 04, 1973 on CBS

• The Family Silver

Times are getting tougher on Walton's Mountain. Having just about kept the lights on in the last episode, John now finds he is running out of money for food. If those customers would only pay their bills...

In a nutshell: John does some work for a wealthy widow then gets a visit from Ep when some of her silverware goes missing. Rather than clear his name, John gets all secretive. It turns out he has pawned his wedding ring and doesn't want anyone to know.

While I didn't think for a minute that John had taken the silver, I had hoped his big secret would be something more than just a visit to the pawnbrokers, so I was slightly disappointed with that. Up to that point, though, the tension had been superb. Ralph Waite's performance is excellent and I'm surprised not to see him on the MVP list. He would certainly get my vote.

I wasn't impressed with the Claybournes. Widow Claybourne was far too swift to condemn John, and Stewart Lee should be ashamed of himself for letting somebody else take the flack for his actions. Surely that amounts to wasting police time?

Haha! Go fish! I used to play that at home. I wonder whether my grandmother would have approved.
INSP