The Waltons

The Threshold

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Apr 02, 1981 on CBS

6.1
  • The Box

Jim Bob builds a television, while John-boy makes his first broadcast, courtesy of Boatwright University. While it's a little sad to see John-boy with no job and no cash, I have to hand it to the writers for realism. One of his professors once warned him there wasn't much money in writing, save for a fortunate few, and it seems that's exactly what has happened. Broke or not, though, I cannot forgive him for those awful muses. What was he thinking?

Jim Bob is good value this week. I do like these 'Jim'll Fix It' storylines. His mechanical skills are pretty impressive considering he's wholly self-taught. His siblings continue to treat him like a schoolkid, but the fact is he's a lot more useful round the house than they are. It's a shame the series is ending so soon, as he's swiftly becoming my favourite character.

When I saw Stanley Perkins, I wondered if the title might be a reference to him bearing Rose across the threshold. Part of me wishes it had been; most of me's glad it wasn't. I'm not sure even GW could have carried THAT weight more than a handful of yards! Instead, the plot sees Stanley give driving lessons to Zuleika Dunbar, causing Rose to go on a crash diet and make herself ill. It's quite entertaining, but you know full well it'll end with Stanley returning to Rose, and sure enough, it does.

Lastly, there's a nice little pat on the back for Earl Hamner when John-boy says in the goodnight scene that if he ever made a TV series, he would call it 'The Waltons'.

Pick of the bunch: Jim Bob Walton (David Harper)

Alternate title: The Star