The Waltons

The Torch

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 08, 1979 on CBS

• Johnny B Goode

With Olivia off the scene, it's a case of 'lead us not into temptation' for John, as an old flame moves back to the mountain and makes it pretty clear she wouldn't mind picking up where she left off. The flame's name is Callie, and she has just bought the Dew Drop Inn. I confess I thought she was going to make a move on Jason when she was watching him at the piano, but her eyes are set firmly on his father. Poor old Jason never gets any.

The flirting is great fun, and the scene where John and Callie race their cars to Ike's is superb. I know I've said it before, but I love it when Ralph gets to smile. Doesn't happen nearly enough. Nothing comes of the flirting, of course, but Callie's an interesting character and her arrival gives John something to think about beyond kids and money for a change.

This week's subplot sees the younger Waltons turn the village hall into a 'nightclub' for squaddies. As so often, the venture struggles to begin with, but ends up a roaring success. It's good to see Cindy in the thick of things. She and Ben are still a little kissy kissy, but I guess that's to be expected.

So it's 1942, and once again, we hear that Jason is about to graduate. Given that we were told the same thing in 'The Hawk', which was set way back in 1939, I'm not holding my breath.

Pick of the bunch: John Walton (Ralph Waite)

Alternate title: The Woman