The Waltons

The Traveling Man

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 14, 1980 on CBS

• The Hayloft

Erin and Chad, Mary Ellen and David, John-boy and Daisy, Erin and Ashley. The Walton household has had more broken engagements than your typical daytime soap. This week, Rose gets in on the act, saying 'yes' to her former dancing partner, Stanley, before inexplicably dumping him at the end of the episode. What was always an unlikely romance ends in utter farce when Rose orders Stanley to cancel his plans and move to California. She shuts the door, he walks away, and that's the end of that.

To be fair, the start of their courtship is equally baffling. Stanley 'just happens' to stumble across Rose in a remote hamlet he has no reason to be visiting, and decides there and then to marry her. What was his plan exactly? To take a bus to a random location and settle down with the first woman he met? What if it hadn't been Rose? And why is the Fosters' home empty all of a sudden? They haven't left.

It's not all bad. William Schallert is very good as Stanley, and Peggy Rea is decent in response. However unlikely their meeting, they do create a convincing pair.

In this week's subplot, Jim Bob is understandably hacked off that Jeffrey's hound keeps chewing his clothes, so he builds himself a bedroom in the hayloft. This is actually quite entertaining. It prompts Jeffrey to build a kennel for the dog, so I guess some good comes of it. Much as I dislike Jeffrey, I have to say Keith Mitchell is a pretty decent actor.

Once again, some passable acting is spoilt by an implausible story. I would have scored it lower, but with Eric Scott in a sailor suit, that was never going to happen. The eight points are for him.

Pick of the bunch: Ben Walton (Eric Scott)

Alternate title: The Beau