The Waltons

The Triumph

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 18, 1980 on CBS

6.7
  • The Germans (Part VII)

German squaddies! Jim Bob in uniform! Jason with stubble! There's a lot to like in this episode, but somehow it misses the mark. I think it's the split between stories: they just don't go together at all.

I did like Jason's story. Although he's been involved with the army since late Season Five, this is the first time we've actually seen him fight. He doesn't kill anyone, of course - it's left to his buddies to do that - but we do get to see him yell orders and fire his weapon. I liked the twist of having the war end partway through. It made for an interesting ending. One question though: if Willis could enlist in the army despite having a German mother, how come Paul (from 'The Spirit') was imprisoned merely for having a German grandfather? That doesn't seem fair.

Back on the mountain, the Godseys get done for ration-fixing then have their store broken into. As a story, it starts off well but gets rushed towards the end, so the impact is kind of lost. The Ration Board hearing was good fun. I don't know what Ike was thinking using the Baldwins as witnesses: surely that's asking for trouble? I guess he got what he deserved.

Jim Bob makes a welcome return, but spends most of his time in a meaningless subplot miles from the mountain. I recognised the driver of the haywain as one of Verdie's friends from 'The Family Tree'. JB arrives home with news that the war in Europe has ended, so he's a popular lad. And, yep, that uniform really does suit him.

Pick of the bunch: Jason Walton (Jon Walmsley)

Alternate title: The Fighter