The Waltons

The Typewriter

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 12, 1972 on CBS

• The Pursuit

By far the best hour so far: grown-up, believable and full of suspense.

It's an excellent performance by Richard. He goes through a whole range of emotions in this story, and all of them are very convincing. I particularly loved the scene where he looked like he was about to burst into tears in the lounge but didn't. Very nicely acted. Some great support from Will and Judy as well.

After a few references in earlier episodes, we finally get to meet the Baldwin sisters, and despite looking notably younger, they're just as scatty and detached as they will be throughout the series. I'm guessing they were characters in the original book as they're also mentioned in the Spencer's Mountain film.

Ep and Mary-Ellen's hunt for the typewriter is brilliant. I was genuinely surprised they found it in the end. Of course, being in an antiques shop, there's a fair chance the Baldwin ladies would have stumbled across it themselves in the end.

This is the first episode which takes place on a specific date. The news report of the Long Beach earthquake places it on 10th March 1933. It thus takes place before the Carnival episode, which refers to the Chicago World's Fair - an event which did not begin until May that year.

• When Jonboy has to type something out, he asks the Baldwin sisters(newcomers!) if he can borrow their antique, father-owned, typewriter. He promises to take extremely good care of it, but Mary Ellen doesn't know what it's worth, until it's too late...

HOLY CRUD! How could Mary Ellen be so stupid, I mean, she goes into the shack, and just sells a whole box load of stuff to a junkman! Well this episode was certainly a memorable one, considering it was the first time that JonBoy typed something. And it's the first time that the Baldwin sissies are shown (Major character development!) and they stay on for the remainder of the series. But will you really know what the recipe truly is when you see this? Well it's Bootleg (DON'T TELL THE BALDWINS!) I ablsolutly, totally recamend this episode! ~Old shows finatic.