The Waltons

The Typewriter

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 12, 1972 on CBS

• The Quest

By far the best hour so far: grown-up, suspenseful and thoroughly believable.

It's an excellent performance from Richard. He goes through a whole range of emotions this week, and all of them are very convincing. I particularly loved the scene where he looked like he was about to burst into tears in the lounge but didn't. Very nicely acted. Some great support from Will and Judy as well.

After a few mentions in earlier episodes, we finally get to meet the Baldwin sisters, and despite looking notably younger, they're just as scatty and detached as they will be throughout the series. I'm guessing they were characters in the original book as they're also mentioned in the 'Spencer's Mountain' film.

Ep and Mary Ellens' hunt for the typewriter is superb. I was genuinely surprised they found it in the end. Of course, being in an antiques shop, there's a fair chance the Baldwin ladies would have stumbled across it themselves in the end. After all, they did say it should be in a museum.

This is the first episode which takes place on a specific date. The report of the Long Beach earthquake places it on 10th March 1933. It thus takes place before 'The Carnival', which refers to the Chicago World's Fair - an event which did not begin until May that year. I'd be tempted to say this is a mistake, but this shuffling back and forth between dates happens so often in this series, I'm beginning to think it's part of the plan. Certainly keeps us guessing!

Pick of the bunch: John-boy Walton (Richard Thomas)

Alternate title: The Pursuit

Score: 9.5

• When Jonboy has to type something out, he asks the Baldwin sisters(newcomers!) if he can borrow their antique, father-owned, typewriter. He promises to take extremely good care of it, but Mary Ellen doesn't know what it's worth, until it's too late...

HOLY CRUD! How could Mary Ellen be so stupid, I mean, she goes into the shack, and just sells a whole box load of stuff to a junkman! Well this episode was certainly a memorable one, considering it was the first time that JonBoy typed something. And it's the first time that the Baldwin sissies are shown (Major character development!) and they stay on for the remainder of the series. But will you really know what the recipe truly is when you see this? Well it's Bootleg (DON'T TELL THE BALDWINS!) I ablsolutly, totally recamend this episode! ~Old shows finatic.