The Waltons

The Venture

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 06, 1975 on CBS

• Together We Stand

A cracking episode to wrap up what has been a brilliant season. John-boy gets a job with a newspaper, Jason gets his music scholarship and John and Zeb at last get their new mill. John senior is the undoubted star this week, though his determination to get the mill ready almost leads to disaster.

More than any other, this episode shows the Waltons pulling together to get things done. The bit where they all rush outside to help build the mill is heartwarming, and the scene that follows is superb. The yelling and hollering is well choreographed and very believable. Poor old Jason banging his thumb!

I have just one gripe: the opening narration places the episode in 'late 1935'. Thing is, it can't be that late, otherwise Jason would already be at college and he wouldn't still be seventeen. I know I'm picking holes, but I do find it annoying when shows don't bother to cross-reference ages and dates between episodes. It won't be the last time either.

The new mill looks mint. Really liking that. I'm glad it was Ike and Zack who were free to help build it and not Easy Jackson.

For me, the best moment has to be when Jim Bob and Elizabeth are doing their impressions of Ike and Corabeth. Kami has Corabeth to an absolute tee. Worth watching for this alone.