The Waltons

The Victims

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Mar 19, 1981 on CBS

2.4
  • The Veteran

An action-packed hour where the remaining Waltons once again play second fiddle to other people's problems. This time, Mary Ellen rents her house to a couple of newlyweds, only to find the husband is a wifebeater, and the wife is a willing victim. None of the violence is shown; only the aftermath. Even so, it's a bold and dramatic story that shows a side of Walton's Mountain we don't normally get to see.

Ben Andrews is fantastic as the menacing and slightly deranged husband, Kenny. He takes some less than believable lines and makes them chillingly convincing. I was very sad to learn he died within a year of this episode being filmed. Seems to have happened to a lot of the guests on this show. I take it that when Jason told John-boy he thought Kenny was hot, it didn't mean what it does today. Fair play if it did!

Jim Bob gets this week's rather lame subplot. He buys a carload of gas masks at an auction and sells them to a local junkman, who just happens to know someone who needs them as props in a Hollywood movie. Of course he does. I can't believe Jim Bob sold his car to pay for them! I am genuinely sad about that.

Not for the first time, the ending is a bit of a letdown. After a losing it completely in a stand-off with the police, Kenny gives himself up meekly and we are told he and his wife live happily ever after. Of course they do.

The show does feel like it's winding down. Other than the Baldwins, none of the characters from the earlier seasons appears any more, and we've seen little of Cindy or the grandkids lately. Still can't shake off Cousin Rose though...

Pick of the bunch: Kenny Ellis (Ben Andrews)

Alternate title: The Violated