The Waltons

The Violated (1)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 08, 1979 on CBS

3.2
  • The Accused

This week's title plot features a young bride who has been raped by a neighbour while her husband is away with the army. This is quite a ballsy subject for this show. The story does raise some serious issues, but as so often, it's resolved way too easily. Basically, John pushes the accused into a puddle, and the man simply leaves, never to return. What's far more intriguing is the way Olivia believes everything Darcy says without question. Until Slater shows up and threatens her, she has no evidence that anything she has heard is true.

Meanwhile, Corabeth hears she has inherited a fortune. She doesn't spend the money all at once, but her newfound wealth does send her ever farther into La La Land. It's good fun, but the contrast with earlier seasons is plain to see. 'The Bequest' posed some serious questions about handling even modest amounts of money responsibly. Here, it's just a chance for Corabeth to prance around being more dreamy than usual. Much as I like Corabeth as a character, I do wish she'd behave a bit more normally.

Ben and Jim Bob get one line each. It's like Season One but without the squeaky voices. Thankfully, there are no Burtons. The action ends rather abruptly when Mrs Denham turns up with news of John-boy. We then finish on a cliffhanger, with Earl Hamner telling us the story will conclude next time. This is the first time this has happened. To raise the stakes still further, there's a two week gap before the next episode. Can anybody stand the tension? Tune in next time to find out!

Pick of the bunch: Frank Thatcher (Kelly Ward)

Alternate title: The Nightwalker