The Waltons

The Visitor

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 12, 1974 on CBS

7.2
  • The Denial

An old friend of the Waltons comes back to the Mountain and starts patching up his house. To Esther's delight, he announces his wife, Delia, will be joining him a few days later. The Waltons all pitch in to help, of course, but it soon becomes clear something is wrong. It turns out his wife has died but he can't bring himself to believe it.

It's a very sad tale, but it's a little too odd to be a tearjerker. Old man Mason's behaviour is strange from the word go, and the way the cast members keep going on about Delia makes it obvious something has happened to her. That said, I didn't expect her to have died. To complement the main story, Elizabeth makes up a friend of her own, much to the annoyance of her siblings.

The bloke playing Mason puts in a very convincing performance, and I note he was quite a prolific actor in his day. His portrayal of an old man alone with his sorrow is very touching.

I love the way nobody sells or lets houses in Walton's Mountain. When they move out, they simply leave their house empty and (presumably) buy another one. Wish I had that kind of money!

Lastly, this title could apply to half the episodes in the series. I wonder why they chose it for this one?