The Waltons

The Volunteer

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 27, 1977 on CBS

• The Proposal

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm a huge GW fan. If you don't like Jefferson County's most eligible bachelor, therefore, it's probably best if you look away now.

The story goes like this. Having been turned down by Mary Ellen once and for all in 'The Quilting', GW has switched his attention to Erin. So much so that, one night, he asks her to marry him. Erin turns him down, GW runs off and joins the army, and they later get together at his barracks. It's a touching tale that brings out the best in the two young actors, and the scene at the barracks is the closest they've yet come to mentioning sex.

As ever, GW is the picture of innocence with his gentle manner and big, farmboy smile. David Doremus has become something of a hunk in the last two seasons, and it would have been great to have seen him in a few more episodes. It's a shame he chose to leave acting so young. On the subject of acting, Mary McDonough's has improved a lot this season. Compare her tears to those in 'The Career Girl' and you'll see what I mean.

In other news, Maude Gormley commissions Ike to sell her paintings then uncommissions him when she sells one without his help. Meanwhile, Zeb brings home a peahen to keep Jim Bob's peacock company. When the series began, the Waltons had a hound, a cow and some hens. Since then, they've acquired a mule, a goat, two peafowl, a cat (now deceased) and a couple of swine, not to mention all the stuff they have caught and set free. At this rate, they should open a petting zoo.

Whenever GW appears, the Waltons treat him as if he's part of the furniture, yet we only see him once or twice a season. He must spend a lot of time with them offscreen. I know I'm biased, but I think he'd have made a great husband for one of the girls. Sadly though, this is one wedding we'll never get to see. As Mary Ellen puts it: "Well, GW's nice, but you wouldn't want to marry I guess some things just weren't meant to be.