The Waltons

The Warrior

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 13, 1977 on CBS

1.5
  • The Injuns

A well-meaning, if rather clunky, episode which tries to get the audience to think beyond the cosy, homespun world of the Waltons. Trouble is, cosy and homespun is what this show is about, so the writers are onto something of a non-starter here. Like 'The Gypsies' before it, it's a clash of cultures too far.

For the second time this season, the Waltons' barn plays home to non-white visitors from North Carolina. The story starts off alright, with Zeb and Elizabeth befriending their guests and with tales of a native burial ground somewhere on the mountain. However, it gets rather far-fetched when the burial ground just happens to be right underneath the Waltons' barn. Old man Teskigi's announcement that the barn must be burnt down is ridiculous, and only Ralph's excellent acting saves the scene. The old man then winds up in court, where he delivers a lecture on the plight of native Americans.

I get what the writers are trying to do, and I like the way they use Elizabeth's innocence to get their message across, but the story just seems to come out of nowhere. There's no way a judge would make an outburst like that while hearing a case, and old man Teskigi is far too preachy in response. Having him keel over and die at the end was rather heartless I thought.

Despite everything, the Teskigis are believable characters, and I did learn a few things I didn't know before. There are worse episodes out there.

• Indians believe their ancient burial ground is right under the Waltons barn.

I liked this episode better than others who have contributed here. While the idea of the ancient burial ground being directly under the barn may be a bit far fetched, I was moved by the historical lessons about the forced "trail of tears" march, and the things Grandfather Joseph said about how people do not understand one another. I was also moved by Elizabeth's reaction to what the old man had to say. Here's a kid who had never heard or seen a "real Indian," who had only heard the one-sided schoolbook version of history. Her mind was opened to a new and greater understanding of human relations.