The Waltons

The Yearning

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Dec 14, 1978 on CBS

7.7
  • The Crush

A handsome young vicar arrives on the mountain fresh out of college, drawing the attention of Corabeth and one of the Walton girls. Yes, this is indeed a rerun of 'The Hawk', the twist being that it is Elizabeth, rather than Erin, who has the crush.

It's quite an enjoyable story, even if we have seen it all before. Alongside the main plot from 'The Hawk', we have the skunk from 'The Honeymoon' and Elizabeth flirting with an older man from 'The Family Tree'. The tomato juice baptism is new, however. Andy the vicar is suitably sweet, though I can't imagine he'll stick around for long, and Elizabeth manages not to be too goofy around him. It's sad to think a story like this would probably never make it to camera these days.

This week's subplot goes to Erin, who helps the Baldwin sisters write down their memoirs. In doing so, they find a long-lost letter from the fabled Ashley Longworth. I liked Emily's anger at her father's portrait, though finding that ring in the tree was somewhat corny, no to mention unlikely. There's little action for the boys, but Ben and Jim Bobs' phoney tablemanners are definitely scene of the week.

I'm not sure when this episode takes place, but it must be quite some time after the last one, as Hank Buchanan was still in post last week (his name could clearly be seen on the church notice board). There's also no mention of Curt's untimely death. How soon they forget!

Pick of the bunch: Elizabeth Walton (Kami Cotler)

Alternate title: The Baptism