The War at Home

Out & In

Aired Sunday 7:30 PM Jan 04, 2007 on FOX

• The best episode yet. I didnt think 'coming out' could be so funny.

Dave, Kenny and Larry have the funniest lines in this one and it all starts when Kenny confronts Dave after hearing from Larry that he thinks he's gay and ends up accidentaly coming out to him. Dave suggests to him that he tell his parents, but when Kenny tells them, they kick him out of the house. This is a very funny storyline especially when Dave imagines he sees rainbows coming out of Kenny's ears (rainbows are a symbol of Gay Pride, I think) and the gay sperm. I was in stitches! Meanwhile, Hillary goes on a date with a blind guy she met at the coffeehouse, but she quickly gets tired of having to describe everything to him, this was a subplot but what made me laugh was when Mark sensed there was a gay guy in the house. Definetely the best yet, looking forward to the next one.
  • A well done episode about what CAN happen when a gay teen comes out.

Besides a plot where Hillary tries to use her father to dump a boyfriend she's tired of, the 'title plot' of this episode surprised me on how well it was done.

I had never seen this show before, but "something" prompted me to tune in tonight (of all possible times!) only to find the topic was "coming out to your parents." And being thrown out of the house by your parents. And can Larry accept his friend now that he has come out? And how Kenny "slipped" in a reaction and actually came out accidentally, but then used that to finish the job.

As a PFLAG member and webmaster of www.BergenPFLAG.org I was particularly glad to see that this topic was handled in this episode quite well, including the decision to "take in" Kenny into the Gold household.

Looking through the previous episodes here on tv.com it looks like this show takes on lots of interesting plots; I will make a point of watching from now on.
  • After being called out as gay by Dave, Kenny inadvertantly comes out of the closet. At first, everybody is shocked including Larry and his parents (who kick him out). But Kenny comes to live with the Golds and everybody gets adapted to him.

Although the basis of Kenny coming out of the closet was unsurprising. It teaches everyone, gay or straight, to appreciate who you are. Although Kenny's parents kicked him out, Kenny was still fine and happy. Even with people shocked (Hillary), surprised (Larry), or even rude (Dave)people appreciate him. Gays don't have as many supporters as they do haters. I think this episode is great for anyone who is gay or questionable about themselves. Even at the end, Dave, Larry, and Kenny do a promo for www.thetrevorproject.org. And for avid watchers like me, later in the season, Kenny finds his first boyfriend and discovers it's all new to him too. Congratulation, Kenny!
  • This is, by far, the best episode yet and it will now keep me watching the show.

I loved this episode. It was a very well acted and well written episode. The character Kenny coming out was wonderful and even though it's awful what his father did to him, it amazing that he will now be living with the Gold's.

Most shows when doing a gay storyline either isn’t sensitive at all or they are too sensitive. Which is why this episode was great, it was perfectly done.

I laughed through the entire episode, it was amazing. I loved it all.

The show has won a new fan in me and as long as Kenny sticks around, I will watch it every week.

Keep up the great work “The War at Home”!

-Nicole
  • This episode was one of the best yet, the sequel set to air 1/11 better live up to this.

This episode was one of the best yet, the sequel set to air 1/11 better live up to this. This episode was funny, as well as gripping. It was some of the better writing I have seen for this series. However, now that Kenny is out of the closet, the writers will have to come up with gay storylines for the character. All in all, I ranked this episode the way I did because this is one of those episodes that if you miss it, and watch the one the next week, you will wonder, \"What is going on here?\"
  • Hey, wait a minute! That's not funny!

1.5
    In this episode Hillary tries to boink a blindie, and Kenny is outed as a gay. As you can see The War at Home is a <I>VERY</I> Realistic show. Like always Dave is an ass and everything feels forced. I do not even see the reason people like this show, and since the quality is still terrible do not reccomend it to anyone.