The Wedding Bells

For Whom the Bells Toll (Pilot)

Aired Unknown Mar 07, 2007 on FOX

• Wonderful!

Great episode! I think that the creators did a great job of introducing each character, Like Debbie and the singer and everybody else. I really do think that it was a good episode you know for a pilot, To me pilot should be especially good to promote the show and all. Got me to come back for the next episode.
  • a good start to a show and it is descent enough to start at the way its going

the story line for this episode is well and it has a good amount of comedy. its hot in ways and it doesn't dissapoint me at all. this episode starts with seven wedding planners named Sammy bell, Annie bell, David Conton, Russell Hawkins, Jane bell, Ralph snow, and Amanda Pontel. these wedding planners are great and sort out as the guts and comedy in this episode. it begins with a bride going crazy because she doesn't know if she wants to get married yet. soon enough they got another wedding to plan, Amanda's wedding. Amanda has a fight with one of the wedding planners the head music singer. she gets mad and attempts to sue but the wedding planners come in with a save and make them apologize and they fast in friendship, and Amanda happily marries her husband.
  • Has some fun potential for Kelly's usual mix of character and whacky humor.

Frankly, surprised someone hasn't come up with the idea of a series set at a wedding company as it's so natural. So far, David E Kelly is reigning in some of his whackier stuff although there are moments like Delta Burke's mother bribing the minister and faking tears. I also liked the bit with the singer having his band score his apology. The tone is set from the start with the photographer giving the bride-to-be the speech that drives her to run off with them chasing.

The characters are a little loose now but hopefully they'll clear up soon. I do like Polo as the one trying to hold it all together and her way too uptight husband. The dynamic with the other sister and her former husband is a bit cliche but they carry it well. Not sure about the younger but that she has morals (no sleeping with married guys) is interesting. True it gets a bit much (the dress on fire, the twins terrified of Sheri Sheppard) and Costas Mandalyor lays the fake accent a bit thick as the chef. But it has potential. The bride this week was fun, especially the sexy shoot and the previews show she's going to be a regular which promises some unique fun. Maybe getting away from the legal soapbox stuff and into real comedy will give Kelly a real hit at last which is good for viewers.
  • The Wedding Bells must deal with all the antics that come with running a wedding planning business.

After watching Big Day and being tearful at its cancellation, I was very excited to see The Wedding Bells. The show did live up to the hype that Fox promoted.

It definitely could have been much more fast-paced, but this is the first episode, so we have to deal with back story and character development. As the series gets going, I think there will be a lot more funny moments.

That's not to say this episode was devoid of funny moments. It had several, especially the photo shoot David conducted with Amanda, the bride-to-be. There were some elements of slapstick I did particularly care for (Amanda's dress catching of fire, for example). There were a lot of good dialog exchanges and one-liners that made up for that though. The show could definitely be good, but I am afraid it will get canceled before it has a chance to really get going. At one hour, the show is long for a comedy. Desperate Housewives and Ugly Betty are also one hour and able to keep the audience's attention. I think The Wedding Bells has the potential to be a comedy of that caliber.
  • I'm willing to give the series another chance.

The pilot seemed to be trying too hard. So much of the dialogue seemed pointless, or was said so rapidly that I didn't have enough time to figure out the point. I don't think I cared enough to figure out if there was a point. I didn't seem to be bothered by the rapid dialogue on "The West Wing". I don't know for sure if there is something different about how it's being done here. Maybe it's just bad acting.

I don't like the personalities of the older two wedding planners. Maybe it's just bad acting.

I guess I don't expect to see the characters involved in a particular wedding in future episodes so I don't seem to care about their problems. Or, I realize that no matter how many problems there are with the wedding that it really shouldn't matter afterward.

As a man, I am probably not the target audience for this show. As a man, when I attend a wedding the only thing I really care about is if the food is edible. I would say I'd like a band that isn't so loud that I can't hear people talking. So I guess I'll have a difficult time caring about the problems.

If any parts of this episode were supposed to be funny, and I guess parts were *supposed* to be, I was not cracking a smile until a small one 52 minutes in.

I try to avoid judging a series on its pilot. It was not bad enough to skip the second episode. But, based on the first episode, I'm not very hopeful. But maybe I should have more confidence that David E. Kelley will work out the bugs, unless the whole idea is beyond help.