The Weird Al Show

Bad Influence

Aired Saturday 11:00 AM Sep 13, 1997 on CBS

• Where was cable television when we needed it? The Weird Al Show was a short lived, zany program which kids and adults could both enjoy. However broadcasting during a time of "save our kids" mentality, it was doomed to fail.

Help Us Nickelodeon!!!

What was The Weird Al Show? It was fun!

While we certainly need educational and informative programming for our children, let's not forget about fun!

Weird Al Yankovic's vision showcased up and coming musical artists and let us forget about reality for just a while.

This, the pilot episode featured The Barenaked Ladies as the musical guest. It's nice to know that Weird Al didn't cave in a simply introduce them as BNL. While it may have been more "politically correct", I can't see a reason to hide the name of musical group which is mentioned on the radio.

Anyway, Weird Al tried to bring his "off the wall" brand of humor to television and unfortunately the confines of network television suffocated those ideas.

Still, with all of this in mind, this is a great program for kids and adults alike!

In this first episode we have such guest stars as Downtown Julie Brown, Patton Oswalt and Kevin Weisman. Is the acting good? Of course not! Then again, it isn't really supposed to be!

We're introduced to some of the Weird Al "standards" such as the "Eyeball" chair (a chair made of huge eyeballs), Harvey The Wonder Hamster and "Al's Mailbag".

Of course there's a lesson to be learned in the show about peer pressure, and that trying to be "cool" really isn't cool at all, but to be honest, the show would have been better had Al just been allowed to entertain and leave the "lessons" on the back burner.

The Bottom Line:

There's plenty of "Al" for fans to enjoy this short lived Saturday Morning show, and now with it on DVD, there's extensive and interesting commentary by Al himself, and others. It's too bad that this show could not have aired on Nickelodeon. Perhaps with a bit more freedom we could have had a few more seasons of entertainment to enjoy. Still even with all of the Network restraints, this is certainly funny stuff!

With Harvey The Wonder Hamster, Al's dubbed 1950's educational films and "hip" music, I can honestly say that I love this show, my eleven year old loves this show and my teenage children love this show! What more of a demographic could you hope for?