The West Wing

20 Hours in L.A.

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 23, 2000 on NBC

• Head west, young man.

Loved the cold open, as Bartlet is boarding Air Force One.

Bartlet: If you want to see the best part about having my job... (into telephone) Colonel, this is the President. I'm ready to go. (Engines Rev, Bartlet grins)

Scenes like that just make me think he takes nothing for granted about getting to be the President. Got to say I agree with him about the Secret Service Agents guarding Zoey.

Bartlet: Let me tell you something, when it's your kid you don't want 'em blending in. You want 'em wearing a sign that says, 'I'm caring a loaded gun and the safety's off.'

I also agree with him on the flag desecration issue.

Bartlet: I mean it, man. Is there an emergency level outbreak of flag desecration no one's kept me posted on?

Bartlet: You would honestly think that there's an epidemic of flag burning going on, endangering countless lives...

I imagine the majority of flag burning goes on outside the US, where such a law would have no effect.

Felt bad for Josh, with Joey Lucas ending up being with Al, the guy Josh spent his lunch arguing with.

As I haven't mentioned Leo's secretary Margaret(NiCole Robinson), I thought I'd do so now. She's funny and I like her and Leo's dynamic almost as much as Josh & Donna's. Really speaks to how good she must be at her job that Leo would put up with so much guff from her(as can be said about Donna).

It was nice seeing Bob Balaban(one of my favorite actors), even if his character, Ted Marcus, was a bit of a jerk.

Bartlet: Right now, right this second, the worst thing that could possibly happen to gay rights in this country, is for me to put that thing on the debating table. Which is what happens the minute I open my mouth. Do you get that? I'm a human starting gun, Ted! You gotta trust me, I know what I'm doing!

I understand Ted knew all that and just needed his 10 minutes alone with the President so he could then allay the fears of the contributors. But still, he could have just tried asking instead of threatening Josh right off the bat. Though Ted did show concern for Bartlet in the end.

I imagine Bartlet's insomnia is going to come up again, but for right now it just seems like everything is falling down for them.

No Mandy + Plenty of Bartlet = a good episode. Plus it was interesting seeing almost all of the staff outside the office for an entire episode.