The West Wing

Celestial Navigation

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 16, 2000 on NBC

• Poignant, Funny, and narratively interesting.

Due to many reasons I didn't get to see this episode for a very long time. But I had heard about it and wanted to see it. It was well worth the wait.

Connecting and relevant subplots, an overreaching story arch and all your favorite characters in situations and incidents that truly suit them.

Watching this episode now, it's startling how painful the loss of Sam Seaborn was. His interactions with Toby are priceless and I'm not the kind of guy that like's buddy comedy.

Edward James Olmos re-curring role (at this point) as Mendozza was always a treat not only for who he was, but for what he was doing.

And...of Course, how can we not mention CJ in this episode? Allison Janney is in serious need of a sitcom spin-off. Or at least her own comedy show.

Josh's narration and wry commentary is not only a tribute to the writer's but an understated and at the same time over the top performance style that is rare and a gem.

I'm not doing a great job at re-capping or explaining the episoe. Let me just say Celestial navigation is one of the best episodes of the series.