A The West Wing Community
NBC (ended 2006)

Perhaps the toughest of West Wing questions: Which season finale was the best?

Season 1 left America with an incredibly unfair, but amazing cliffhanger.

Season 2 left on a sorrowful note with an angry President shouting to God.

Season 3 may have marked the high point in the show's popularity and the finale delivered a heartbreaking death as well as a dramatic (and less than strictly legal) military action.

Season 4 turned *everything* upside down just as Aaron Sorkin left the show...

Season 5 tackled the peace talks between Israel and Palestine.

Season 6 gave us our first taste of the Democratic National Convention.

Season 7 brought a new Inauguration and plenty of reunions.

Poll: Which is Your Favorite West Wing Season Finale?

poll
8 Comments
Comments (7)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Season 2 for me. I had lost my grandmother close to this time and i remember this episode resonating with me. I understood Bartletts anger. Martin Sheens delivery was one of the best pieces of acting i have ever seen in TV or film - plus seeing someone being angry in Latin is quite a spectacle.
Added to that, the final 5 minutes is exceptionally good.

Flag
Totally agree. I had also lost someone close to me at the time I first saw it (grandfather, last fall). It would be almost impossible for any TV-episode ever again to hit me as hard (emotionally) as this one did.
Flag
I remember watching this episode and waiting for my local channel to shut it down. Surely Bartlet was not cursing God in Latin on my TV! When "Brothers in Arms" began I started to cry. I blubbered my way thru to the end. Watched it over and over again on my VCR. To quote James Lipton--the finest hour of television ever presented. Isn't it funny how we Wingnuts can remember everything about this show ? "Have I displeased you--you feckless thug?
Flag
no question.

Flag
well. maybe season 2. So good.
Flag
While it's an unpopular opinion, I voted for season 4's "Twenty-Five." Zoey's kidnapping led to use of the Twenty-fifth Amendment and a temporary Republican Presidency. With Aaron Sorkin leaving the show in between seasons, his decision to leave the plot in a state of complete chaos was bold and unexpected (and probably quite a bit spiteful), but it worked.

Need a quick reminder of how ridiculously dramatic the episode was? Watch the cold open:

Flag
Follow this Show
Members