The West Wing Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

From the Editor: Contribution Guide and Forum Rules

Yakira

[1]Aug 2, 2005
    • level: 39
    Forum Rules are located in the 8th post of this thread.

Here is the Unofficial FAQ for the site.
    Here is another thread full of ideas for Getting Points.
    Good example of what I'm about to say below: here.

Please include sources when submitting episode names, episode air dates, production codes, trivia, notes, and allusions.

Allusions:
    For the many people who do not seem to know what an allusion is:

defn. from Writers, Inc.
    "Allusion is a comparison of two or more similar objects, suggesting that if they are alike in certain respects, they will probably be alike in other ways as well."

defn. from Merriam-Webster Online (www.m-w.com)
    "an implied or indirect reference especially in literature; also : the use of such references"

defn. from Answers.com
    "1. The act of alluding; indirect reference: Without naming names, the candidate criticized the national leaders by allusion.
    2. An instance of indirect reference: an allusion to classical mythology in a poem."

defn. from http://www.tnellen.com/cybereng/lit_terms/allusion.html
    "Allusion is a brief reference to a person, event, or place, real or ficticious, or to a work of art. Casual reference to a famous historical or literary figure or event. An allusion may be drawn from history, geography, literature, or religion.
    Example: Stephen Vincent Benet's story 'By the Waters of Babylon' contains a direct reference to Psalm 137 in the Bible."

It's A Thin Line Between Trivia and Notes:
    Some guides use Trivia for goofs only, but I feel that some things, like little snippets of info you wouldn't know otherwise belong there also because it's the kind of stuff you would find in a trivia game. These things have a gray area between Trivia and Notes.

Examples:
    How many actresses have played Buffy
    Who was originally supposed to play Sydney Bristow
    Sam Seaborn's middle name

Notes:
    Things that clearly belong in notes are:
    Whether or not an actor appeared in an episode
    Someone's first time playing a recurring role
    Music
    Awards and Nominations

Trivia:
    Things that clearly belong in trivia are:
    Goofs

Quotes:
    In the future this is what will be considered the proper format for quotes:
    C.J. (muffled): Josh.
    Josh: What the hell happened?
    C.J.: I had woot canaw.
    Josh: What happened to your cheeks?
    C.J.: I had woot canaw.
    Josh: Why are you talking like that?
    C.J. (louder): I had woot canaw!
    Josh: Yeah, I heard you the first time, I was just amusing myself.
    C.J.: I can suggest some othew things you can do wiff yourseff.

Recap Advice:
    You'd be surprised how everything, even the most insignificant things, can become a joke later on in the series. In the end I would prefer it if you covered every scene, although if you were to skip a scene where someone walks to bathroom I really wouldn't have a problem with it. It doesn't need to be word for word but it should be comprehensive and correct.

Great Examples:
    "Commencement"
    "7A WF 83429"
    "The Dogs of War"

Try to stick to the widely accepted names for certain locations (Outer Oval Office, Communications Office, Josh's Bullpen).

Just because you don't see the line breaks in the preview doesn't mean they won't be there when the recap gets published.

Make sure there isn't already a recap. If you're going to do quite a few at once PM and I find a way to notify others who frequently recap episodes so that you don't do a whole bunch of work only to have it rejected.

I would recommend that you do your recaps in a word processor first, Microsoft Word for example. When working on the submission page there is no way to save your work and if something goes wrong with the coputer of the website all your hard work will be lost. Also using a word processor allows you to use a spell check. Also if I reject your recap you will have a copy on hand.

I usually have a script beside me when I do a recap to help me keep up with everything that's going on and to make sure that quotes are accurate. Either that or I have the episode popped into my VCR/DVD Player. If you would like to do this I would recommend buying an official script book. Do not download unofficial and/or unauthorized episode transcripts (or encourage others to do so as it would violate the TOS). Besides violating the TOS it is known that sometimes transcripts are unreliable and have false or inaccurate information. And inaccurate information is something I do not, I repeat DO NOT, want in any of my guides.

I am not accepting transcripts for recaps as it would be considered and act of theft and a violation of the TOS.

Cast:
    If you know on a name missing in the show stars lists please contact me so that I can add it.

For indivivdual episodes the guide should reflect the way the credits roll. Even if somebody's name is in the opening credits but they aren't in that particular episode the should be listed under show stars. If you can provide me with 3 sources for an uncredited actor they may be added to the list also.

Commonly Misspelled Words:

"Bartlet"
    as Bartlett, Barlet, Barlett, Barrtlett, Barrtlet

"Kuhndu" "Qumar" "Bahji"
    as Kundu as Kumar, Koomar as Bahi

"Lyman" "Ziegler"
    as Lieman as Zeegler, Zieger, Zeeger, Zigler

"C.J." "Cregg"
    as CJ, and (no kidding) CeeJay as Craig

"McGarry" "Margaret" "President"
    as McGary as Maragret as Presdent

"Seaborn" "Bailey" "Elsie"
    as Seaborne as Baily as Elsy

"Abbey" "Zoey" "Gardner"
    as Abby as Zoe as Gardener

"Arnie" "Vinick" "Schott"
    as Arne, Arnee as Vinnick, Vinic, Vinnic as Scott

"Sheen" "Dulé" "Channing"
    as Sheene as Dule as Channinng
    Other Advice:
    Spoilers belong in the forums. If you submit a spoiler in an episode summary or recap of an episode that hasn't aired yet I will reject it. Unless it is a basic episode summary that is less than 200 words in length and does not give away any major surprises, plot details, or relationship developments.

I have no problem with users adding links to musicians official website along with the reference in the music section. Just make sure it is the OFFICIAL website.

No advertising of illegal activities such as places to download music or episodes will be tolerated.

Do things in your own words. Copying show summaries from other locations, even the official site, will be considered theft and a violation of the TOS.

I have no control over they things under the News, Videos, Pictures, Similar, or Reviews tabs. If you see a problem contact a staff member (there's a list in the Unofficial FAQ) and please copy the message to me. But I cannot change anything under the aforementioned tabs. Editors have no power what appears under those tabs. I cannot reprimand anyone for putting anything reprehensible under those tabs. I don't know how much clearer I can make the fact that I have no power over what happens under those tabs.

Please include sources when submitting episode names, episode air dates, production codes, trivia, notes, and allusions.

Thanks for your time.
    Edited on 03/22/2006 5:39pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RoxieVelma

[2]Aug 2, 2005
    • level: 60
    If I do an episode recap, do I need to include everything that happened in each scence or just everything that happens that's important to the episode or later ones?

Yakira

[3]Aug 2, 2005
    You'd be surprised how everything, even the most insignificant things, can become a joke later on in the series. In the end I would prefer it if you covered every scene, although if you were to skip a scene where someone walks to bathroom I really wouldn't have a problem with it. It doesn't need to be word for word but it should be comprehensive and correct.

Great Examples:
    "Commencement"
    "7A WF 83429"
    "The Dogs of War"

Try to stick to the widely accepted names for certain locations (Outer Oval Office, Communcations Office, Josh's Bullpen).

Hope that helps.

RoxieVelma

[4]Aug 2, 2005
    • level: 60
    Excellent, I would have never thought to do it that way. I'll see what I can do to help out. This is actually more fun than I ever thought it would be. LOL

gemboss

[5]Aug 3, 2005
    • level: 9
    Hey, i know Sam Seaborn's middle name. It's Norman.

By the way, how do i create smilies? I would have liked to put a smiley face after Norman. Thanks!

Yakira

[6]Aug 3, 2005
    gemboss wrote:
    Hey, i know Sam Seaborn's middle name. It's Norman.

By the way, how do i create smilies? I would have liked to put a smiley face after Norman. Thanks!

To learn how to create smileys go to the Unofficial FAQ. There's a link a the top of the first post in this thread.

Yakira

[7]Dec 20, 2005
    Show titles show be in italics
    Example: The West Wing

People's names of character names should not be in any specialized font. When you want to talk about a person and the character say the actors name then their character name.
    Example: John Spencer (Leo McGarry)

Episode title's should be in "quotations."
    Example: "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen (Part 1)"

The words "the" and "of" are not capitalized unless the begin the show of episode title.

Please make sure there are not extra spaces at the end o your submission.

In the quotes section the format does not require you to put the scripted lines in quotation marks.

Spell check is there. Please use it.

Please look at your accepted and rejected submission PMs. Sometimes there are notes in both/either.

Yakira

[8]Mar 22, 2006
    Forum Rules

1. Don't put spoilers in the names of a thread.
    2. Use spoiler tags in threads that don't say that the thread will contain spoilers.
    3. Games are allowed but don't replicate a game that in progress.
    4. If there's already a thread on a topic or an episode don't create a new thread. Talk in the thread that already exists.
    5. Also read the first few topics before you post for the first time in a day.
    6. If you want to make a general comment about how you feel about next week's episode in the current week's episode thread that is okay but if you want to discuss that trailer you should go to the next week thread. This means that stuff like "I can't wait" is okay but "I can't believe that (fill in the blank) is going to happen next week" is not. It isn't fair that those who don't want to be spoiled about next week are, via others talking about the next week's trailer in this week's thread. This should be a friendly environment for all those who want to participate including those who want to be spoiler-free.

Those are the rules. Also you need to follow the general TV.com forum rules.
    http://www.tv.com/about-the-forums---ask-the-mods/tv.com-forum-community-terms-of-service/topic/43598-199469/msgs.html
    Edited on 04/02/2006 3:03pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Yakira

[9]Apr 3, 2006
    If you see a review that is complete junk and has nothing to do with the episode or show, you should report it to emaldalani.

Yakira

[10]Apr 25, 2006
    :
    Ratings:
    Dateline lead-in
    Fast National Affiliate Ratings
    Total Viewers: 5.2 million
    Ratings/Share: 2.1/4
    Adults 18-49: 1.3/4
    Third in its time slot behind CBS then ABC.

Overnights Ratings
    Total Viewers: 5.26 million (3rd place)
    Ratings/Share: 3.9/7 (3rd place)
    Adults 18-49: 1.3/4 (4th place)

The West Wing
    Total Viewers: 8.4 million
    Ratings/Share: 5.5/9
    Adults 18-49: 2.3/6
    Third Place behind CBS then ABC.

Overnights Ratings
    Total Viewers: 8.42 million (3rd place)
    Ratings/Share: 6.5/10 (2nd place)
    Adults 18-49: 2.3/6 (4th place)

NBC
    Total Viewers: 8.97 million
    Ratings/Share: 6.8/11
    Adults 18-49: 2.6/7
    Close third behind ABC and CBS.

Please contribute ratings to the guide.
    They can be found by using yahoo, zap2it, tvtracker, mediaweek and various other sources including the official Nielsen Media website. If you can't find one particular piece of info put "??"

Yakira

[11]Apr 27, 2006
    Please scroll to the bottom of the home page and vote in favor of a live chat for the show.