The West Wing Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

The significance of "Pie" in West Wing dialog

nzfilmprof

[1]Mar 30, 2009
    • level: 1

I'm a Yank who last watched WW in 2002, at which time I left the Star-Spangled shores for foreign climes (NZ and now Australia). Quite recently, I have picked up numerous WW episodes (library DVDs) and am delighted to renew my acquaintance with this series, perhaps the best TV show ever, IMHO.

OK, getting to the point. I see and hear numerous references to "pie" in the dialog. It appears to be some sort of running joke, however, if so, it is a joke I'm just not getting! Is it derived from...some Congressman supports a admirable (but entirely unworkable) piece of legislation...a piece of Pie in the Sky...? or, we just all want a piece of the pie (into which the budget must be divided)? or, we're just politicians here, of COURSE we're all for waving the flag, Mom and apple [ie...? Or perhaps, they don't want to flub up and get, pie lobbed in their face? My Aussie partner insists, the explanation is no more complicated than, we Yanks are happiest when we are stuffing pie in our face (to put in bluntly).

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks from Brisbane, Oz!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sirhcxela

[2]Apr 7, 2009

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, but Sam and Toby eat pie when they spend late nights writing.

There are several instances where people make reference to this. I know in 100,000 Airplanes there is a scene where Barlet says, "Somebody get these guys some pie" after the State of the Union. There's another scene where one of them makes a comment to the effect of, "We're gonna need some more pie."

Hope this is helpful.

witticismgetsme

[3]Apr 24, 2009
    i think it is just their go-to food. Pie is like... their mascot in a way. they rely on it to lift their spirits as well as for celebrations and comfort. im sure the network was mailed many pies in the show's heyday.

hmnut7

[4]Jul 27, 2009
    • level: 12
    Agreed.

Some writers just like certian "words" and they just tend to come up a lot in their scripts. Sorkin makes an usually number of referances to "shoes" as well. Women misplacing shoes, Josh's mother buying him shoes, etc. etc. etc.