The West Wing

In the Shadow of Two Gunmen: Part 1

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 04, 2000 on NBC

• About this episode

This had great directing

• Nightmares and memories.

When Toby found Josh, I just about lost it. Even knowing he was going to be on the show for the duration(I had seen his episode count before I started the series), it was still very upsetting. I was tearing up on my second watchthrough when he was yelling in the hospital about needing to get to New Hampshire. As if getting shot in the chest wasn't enough, in his mind he's somehow being prevented from getting to Bartlet. And Sam's line to him was pretty moving, once I understood what it meant.

Sam: You went to New Hampshire. We both did. You came and got me.

Donna finding out was rough, I just assumed she would have known for some reason. Seeing CJ so shaken was disturbing as well. I imagine having to give a press conference after something so traumatic, while not knowing if Josh was gonna make it, was, to put it mildly, not an easy thing to do. Bartlet being more upset about Zoey and Butterfield was the kind of thing I hope I could do in that situation.

Bartlet: I swear to God, if I don't speak to my daughter in the next five minutes I'm going to attack something.
    Butterfield: She's on her way.
    Bartlet: This guy's got about seven broken bones in his hand by the way, if someone wants to give him an aspirin or something.

As well I hope I can stay in as good humor as he was.

Nurse: Do you have any medical conditions?
    Bartlet: Well...I've been shot.

While the scenes happening in the present were incredibly well done, the flashbacks to the early days of the Bartlet campaign were my favorite parts. It was interesting to see the moment Josh realized Bartlet was "the real thing."

Bartlet: If fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion, then surely, the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says 'We shall give our children better than we ourselves received.' Let me put it this way; I voted against the bill 'cause I didn't want it to be harder for people to buy milk. I stopped some money from flowing into your pocket. If that angers you, if you resent me, I completely respect that. But if you expect anything different from the President of the United States, you should vote for someone else.

Sorry for all the quotes by the way, I've just never been able to write reviews without including them, and its even harder with TWW which has so many good ones. Sam working for the oil companies was pretty mind blowing, though I guess it explains why he works so hard for Bartlet now, trying to make up for that time. I liked how he and Josh had to point out to each other that they didn't like who they were working for, for both of them to realize they should do something about it.

Leo's talk with Bartlet, near the end of the episode, was probably my favorite part, summed up my feelings about the presidency quite well.

Leo: Because I'm tired of it. Year, after year, after year, after year. Having to choose between the lesser of 'Who Cares?'. Of trying to get myself excited about a candidate who can speak in complete sentences. Of setting the bar so low I can hardly look at it. They say a good man can't get elected president. I don't believe that. Do you?

This was simply an amazing episode, not just for TWW, but television as a whole.
  • The aftermath of shooting

This has been so far the most exciting story with much of action - the special agents on the scene, the drive in night city and the scene in the hospital when the medical worker answers the phone - they do not have so much dynamic in any episode so far.

On the balance to the big action and motion on main story, the have flashback with beautiful meaning how those people ever met.. how they become to work to Bartle. It opened a new view to most of the characters - show us how much Leo really did and how few fate and change the had but they made it.

A really special episode and in the top of all episodes.
  • One of my favorites

With the West Wing, every now and again an episode approached "perfection". What an opener to Season 2. The writing is superb, well paced, the flashback sequences fit into the story perfectly. Also they are revealing, telling us a lot about Leo and Jed's relationship, and showing us an insecure side to Toby.

Bartlet's speech is a sign of things to come from him. Donna, shown in the opening credits for the first time has a great scene when her worry for the President turns to relief and joy only to be shot down by the news of Josh's condition. The scenes with the secret service agents, especially Ron, are all well-acted and dramatic.
  • I love, love loved this episode!!!

I just watched Part 1 and 2, so I'll try to seperate them best I can.

Just from the beginning I knew this would be a great episode, because, I don't know, it just had this very real feeling. It's no doubt the writing was amazing, but just everyone running around. When Josh was down, I started like crying! Donna's scene at the end was really great, and I liked how they showed mrs. landingham and Margaret finding out.

I can't even remember the cliff hanger they left it on because as soon as I saw it I watched the next episode. This episode was so amazing! I LOVE WEST WING!!!
  • after the gunfire and people are shot.

great episode great episode great episode i cant say it enough it was so good. i liked all of the flash backs showing us how they started to run and what everyone was doing before they stated working for the president of the united states. josh was working for hoynes the vice presdient tobey was working for governer bartlet at the time and sam was working for a big law firm in new york city. all of the flashbacks are because josh was shot after leaving a public event where the president was speaking. it was on of two parts so they left alot out of this episode.