The West Wing

In the Shadow of Two Gunmen: Part 1

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 04, 2000 on NBC

• Nightmares and memories.

When Toby found Josh, I just about lost it. Even knowing he was going to be on the show for the duration(I had seen his episode count before I started the series), it was still very upsetting. I was tearing up on my second watchthrough when he was yelling in the hospital about needing to get to New Hampshire. As if getting shot in the chest wasn't enough, in his mind he's somehow being prevented from getting to Bartlet. And Sam's line to him was pretty moving, once I understood what it meant.

Sam: You went to New Hampshire. We both did. You came and got me.

Donna finding out was rough, I just assumed she would have known for some reason. Seeing CJ so shaken was disturbing as well. I imagine having to give a press conference after something so traumatic, while not knowing if Josh was gonna make it, was, to put it mildly, not an easy thing to do. Bartlet being more upset about Zoey and Butterfield was the kind of thing I hope I could do in that situation.

Bartlet: I swear to God, if I don't speak to my daughter in the next five minutes I'm going to attack something.
    Butterfield: She's on her way.
    Bartlet: This guy's got about seven broken bones in his hand by the way, if someone wants to give him an aspirin or something.

As well I hope I can stay in as good humor as he was.

Nurse: Do you have any medical conditions?
    Bartlet: Well...I've been shot.

While the scenes happening in the present were incredibly well done, the flashbacks to the early days of the Bartlet campaign were my favorite parts. It was interesting to see the moment Josh realized Bartlet was "the real thing."

Bartlet: If fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion, then surely, the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says 'We shall give our children better than we ourselves received.' Let me put it this way; I voted against the bill 'cause I didn't want it to be harder for people to buy milk. I stopped some money from flowing into your pocket. If that angers you, if you resent me, I completely respect that. But if you expect anything different from the President of the United States, you should vote for someone else.

Sorry for all the quotes by the way, I've just never been able to write reviews without including them, and its even harder with TWW which has so many good ones. Sam working for the oil companies was pretty mind blowing, though I guess it explains why he works so hard for Bartlet now, trying to make up for that time. I liked how he and Josh had to point out to each other that they didn't like who they were working for, for both of them to realize they should do something about it.

Leo's talk with Bartlet, near the end of the episode, was probably my favorite part, summed up my feelings about the presidency quite well.

Leo: Because I'm tired of it. Year, after year, after year, after year. Having to choose between the lesser of 'Who Cares?'. Of trying to get myself excited about a candidate who can speak in complete sentences. Of setting the bar so low I can hardly look at it. They say a good man can't get elected president. I don't believe that. Do you?

This was simply an amazing episode, not just for TWW, but television as a whole.