The West Wing

Let Bartlet Be Bartlet

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 26, 2000 on NBC

• A necessary argument.

Aww, poor Margaret, her fear of the repercussions for the email thing was pretty funny.

Leo: Margaret thinks the FBI is gonna bust in here any minute.

Leo: ohh, Margaret, Margaret. I'm sorry, I'm gonna have...I hung in there as long as I could, but you long since passed the point when I stopped caring. If you're curious it was right around raisin muffin.

Her face after that was just gold. And Toby offering to take a muffin down to "the lab," was hilarious. Sam's plot with gays in the military was interesting, and Fitzwallace was great. My stance has always been if their willing, physically & mentally fit, why not let them? Though its obviously a decision for people above my pay grade.

Well Mandy really topped herself this time. She's smart enough to know that an opposition paper like that should have been disclosed to the team as soon as she was hired, or before. They shouldn't have had to "vet" her to discover that. It was interesting to see how in this case **** rolled up hill, from Mandy to Danny to CJ. The scene between Danny and CJ(where he reveals he is the one that has the opp. memo) was excellent and showed that those two characters can be great together even when they're not getting along.

Danny: You guys are stuck in the mud around here. And none of it is the fault of the press! I know you're frustrated, but it ain't nothing compared to the frustration of the people that voted for you.

At least the whole thing led to something good, hell, something necessary. The scene between Bartlet and Leo was definitely one of my favorites so far.

Leo: ...this 21 year old at six hundred dollars a week says, 'I'm going where I want to, because a man stands up.' Everyone's waiting for you, I don't know how much longer.
    Bartlet: I don't want to feel like this anymore.
    Leo: You don't have to.
    Bartlet: I don't want to go to sleep like this.
    Leo: You don't have to.
    Bartlet: I want to speak.
    Leo: Say it out loud, say it to me.
    Bartlet: This is more important than re-election. I want to speak now.

Followed by another great scene when Leo lets the staff "off the leash."