The West Wing

Process Stories

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 13, 2002 on NBC

• Bartlet wins the election, and everyone celebrates. Someone even boldly decides to run in a race he's destined to lose.

Ah, the good ol' Aaron Sorkin days. West Wing just hasn't been the same without him. In fact, I don't even watch the show anymore without him (The inexplicable and unbelievable job shifts in Season 6 were enough for me to believe this show jumped the shark) at the writing helm. But, at least we have the first four seasons to treasure.

One example (which I recently saw) was Process Stories. I love the quirkiness of the episode. Process Stories was particularly light-hearted, and it was nice to have an occasional episode like this. A "sit back and relax" episode.

Some of my favorite moments in the episode include Sam's "Aristotle" rant, Bartlet's "Who's your Commander-in-Chief?" come-on to Abbey ("You are!"), the fantastic interaction between C.J. and Bruno, and the wonderful chemistry between Toby and Andrea (I adore Kathleen York) -- "You're in this to find a fight." "Yes." "Well...I can admire that."

You can always tell when Christopher Misiano directs an episode of The West Wing. He has a very simple and very appropriate style to his direction. No strange camera angles or movements -- nice, andante pace -- no gimmicks (An annoying part of Alex Graves's directorial style -- Refer to "Game On", for example). This episode is one of his better efforts. Nice lighting effects, as well, especially regarding C.J.'s office.

This is certainly not the best episode of The West Wing, but it is one of many examples of how special this show was with Aaron Sorkin at the helm.