The West Wing

NBC (ended 2006)

AJMeredith

The West Wing Fan Reviews page 4 of 6

• My head hurts and I'm not laughing anymore.

Oh dear. I have been a WW devotee for many years now and I am close to giving up. Should I continue? Will they get it together again? I always saw the WW as an ensemble chamber piece. Who cared what the issues were? it was the character interplay that made the show sparkle. But you either have a campaign OR a leak inquiry. Doing both means that its all fragmented attampts to jam in lots of plot. Nothing is sustained. Where have all the characters gone? Where have the tensions and jokes gone to? Who cares anymore?
  • A personal favorite for purely sentimental reasons.

6.2
    I have to agree with other viewers who think the show is past it's prime.

The electricity of the bull pen and the rapid fire banter of days gone by when Sam Seaborn wrote the speeches that made me cry are all but gone...don't get me wrong, I'll stay tuned till they pull the last re-run.

I still find some of that tangible intellectually honest quick wit in Alan Alda's character and for that I, in a somewhat perverse way, am rooting for him as the "underdog". He's the last vestige of political realism that embodies the West Wing's allure that I feel is being setup to be blown away by Jimmy Smit's lean, hip, correct, patriotic, minority, liberal suavity. Shame.

Like I said, I'll be tuned till they stop running re-runs...
  • Not as good as when Aaron Sorkin was in charge.

6.3
    The first four seasons of The West Wing were fabulous. After the usual finding-our-way meanderings of the first half of season 1, the show found its strengths in the characters, plot lines, and the quality of the writing, directing, and acting. Seasons 2 through 4 were especially good.

Unfortunately, since Sorkin's departure, The West Wing doesn't seem to have the same spark it used to. It's still a good show, just that I can no longer describe it as "the best-written show on television" as I used to.
  • Not what it once was, but still great.

I think the first three seasons were the best, four was pretty good, and they jumped the shark with Zoe's kidnapping. Even with that I still give it a ten. Almost all my other shows are sci-fi, annimation, or humor. However, a friend who seems to know my taste better than I do, told me I should watch. Bravo picked it up, and I was hooked. My favorite part is the humor. It is just so sharp and diverse. The music is dead on, very sweeping and majestic. Tons of actors showing up once or twice, but leaving such an indelible mark, you still feel they are in the bulding. John Laroquette was in I think one episode, but I still feel he could come around a corner any time wielding his cricket bat and obsenities. I highly recommend this show.
  • Brilliance!

I discovered this show late (as in this year!)as I was under the misbelief that it was a lot of American propaganda and too clever for it\'s own good. How wrong I was! How can one man be so talented??? Aaron Sorkin is a god. I haven\'t got to the episodes after he left and I\'m almost afraid to. I can see why there was much fretting when he announced he was leaving.

Favs - All of them! But particulary the leadies - Alison and Janel.
  • Come Back To Us Barbara Lewis Hare Krishna Beauregard

West Wing is still my favorite show. I don’t watch a lot of TV and I am very disappointed when it does not run at its scheduled time. This is the 2nd week in a row NBC has bumped West Wing in favor of trite TV. This evening I discovered it wouldn’t be airing again until December 4th. It looks like they are really trying to kill the show. The writing on West Wing is so much better than the writing for Commander In Chief. I hope NBC relents and lets West Wing play regularly in its appointed time slot.
  • Quality television with super quality actors. Shows behind the scenes in Washington, DC with all the dirty tricks and all the heroism. Shows the key white house people warts and all doing difficult jobs.

From day 1, I have been a West Wing addict. I have "never" missed an episode and have watched the first few years over and over. Two things have happened this year that are scary. One: true to life, the administration is changing as it always does, and while it is changing, once again quality actors are manning the roles. Two: NBC moved The West Wing to Sunday night. That, more than anything, will probably end the TWW run. I perceive that moving things to Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is NBCs way of sending out their pink slips. We are buying all the seasons as fast as they are released so that later, I can get my West Wing "fix".
  • I've always liked this show but I am starting to lose interest. The first few seasons were fabulous, and I loved the interaction between the characters. Now, it's getting old.

The writing was what drew me to this show. The political allusions were always a bit of a turn-off, but the writing and the characters were just great. And then last season and this one, I started to lose interest. Making CJ the chief of staff, and all the focus on the campaign msde me feel it became all about political grandstanding and hardly anything about the characters - although the one about Toby saying he was the leak was good. I do hope Santos wins - he's an engaging character, but it's not enough about him - it's more about the political backstory, and that's tiring. Maybe its time to call it quits.
  • Cut the cord and bury it.

Another show that the producers just will not cut the cord. Taking the show on the road for a campaign just does not fit the image of the West Wing. I want to see the workings (no matter how prejudiced) between the staff in the White House. The first lady seems to have fallen off the earth with the children.
  • This show is my new guilty pleasure. As I am only into the 2nd season, I am wondering if anyone can give me hope for a future between C.J. and Danny.

This show has immediately captured my attention. I started watching from the first season a few weeks ago. I'm already into season 2. I find the writing to be outstanding. The plots are smart, well-paced, and thought provoking. The characters are real...they are written with flaws and emotions, unlike many plastic series characters. Don't we all know a Sam and a Toby? I certainly know some Donna's. For me, the biggest treat are the scenes between Danny and C.J. I know that a romance between a press secretary and a reporter cannot work out in the White House, but I am hopeful anyway!
  • The West Wing follows the President and his staff through his term in office, and all the twist and turns that this positon creates. A really well written show that must be seen to be fully appreciated.

I think the West Wing is a great concept for a show, and thanks to very clever writing and great plots, it's one that I really admire.

The basic format of the show follows the President and his staff through his terms in office - sounds boring, but it really works due to fantastic well rounded characters, great plots and intreging story lines, and above all quick and clever dialog.

I love the fast pace of the show and the many twists and direction changes throughout each episode and each series. It really keeps you on your toes, and makes you wonder if similiar events really do happen in everday life.

In all, a great show that puts its emphises on the clever dialog and great characters rather than all out action. A must see in my opinion.

• Still good but Aaron Sorkin is sorely missed.

The show, once famous for it's witty dialogue is still interesting and intriguing, with a terrific cast and a pretty good storyline.

But it clearly misses the hand of Aaron Sorkin and shows too much the hand of John Wells. Wells has proved on ER his obsession with melodrama and he brings it all to bare on West Wing now. In fact, the entire 6th Season seemed way more like an ER episode with half the cast in the hospital for one reason or another.

Still, it has regained itself by refocusing on the campaigns of the next White House with the implausible moderate Republican (I don't think the Republican party will nominate a moderate for at least another 10 to 15 years)and a liberal Democrat.

The shuffling casts between our old favorites, and the new campaigns keeps the show and the audience on our toes. I enjoy each story and am enjoying the Toby/Leak story very much. But in the end I miss the wit. The show, like the Bartlett administration is tired...and if they are smart, Wells and NBC will stop after this season before The West Wing, like ER becomes a self parody.
  • Love this show

I got started watching this show after watching an episode with CJ and an egg. I havn't come across it again, but I dont care. I have now watched enough episodes to et me hooked to the show completely.

All the characters are great, from Carlie, the presidents secretart to the hamazing POTUS himself. I think that Josh and Donna are the perfest couple, I think CY rules, that Sam is great and that Toby (after a period of me not being sure if I liked him) is now one of my favourite characters.

Cant get enough of the show...must watch more...and will.

Have to go now

Cheers, Ste
  • So great it acully gives me goosbumps when I watch it!

Can´t realy find words to describe this show.

The first thing that comes to mind is some mixture of interlectual humor great footage and nice feeling.

I truly love when they walk around the white house and talk. Very nice camerajob.

Note: I am not a US-fan of any kind but still gives this show a "10"!
  • The West Wing, Seaons 1-5, fabulous! Seasons 6-? missing something!

This show will always be a classic to me. It went someplace no other show dared to go, and survived! In fact, it thrived. The writing the first five years was phenomenal, surpassed only by the acting. Season six was completely and totally plot-driven, and season seven is turning out the be the same. I hope it gets better, but, with the recent reveal of the leak being totally plot-driven, I won't hold my breath. I still watch every Sunday, hoping that it goes back to it's orignial glory. Still a show to pay attention to.
  • Fascinating!

Just when you are sure the show has run its course after 2 Bartlett presidential terms, the show takes a whole new direction by taking you inside the election process. It's carrying forward with all the wit and wisdom that we have come to expect. I'm just sorry that they have had to leave so many great characters behind.
  • The best political television drama ever created. The cast is top-notch, the characters are compelling, and the political issues are informative and relatable. The show continues to change and evolve post-Sorkin, but it remains an intelligent, challengi

The West Wing is the best political television drama ever created. It made popular the single camera walk and talk, and redefined the capabilities of a workplace drama and the influence of television on the political mindset of the nation. The show dramatized and depicted the goings on of the White House, a subject that producers felt could never be made compelling. But Sorkin and Co., believed in the intelligence and humor of the American people, and maintained high standards for a landmark series in television history.

The early Sorkin years were sublime in the way that they interwove humor, political issues, useful facts, and character moments in the carefully crafted dialogue that Sorkin oversaw personally. The snappy back and forth, the great cast, and the hallway walk and talks conveyed a compelling energy to the series. The episodes touched upon almost every poltiical issue and managed to make them concrete and relatable. Above all, Sorkin showed the inherent nobleness of these flawed characters trying to run the country the best they can. Throughout the run, the show was symbolized by the man in the Oval office, President Josiah Bartlet, played wonderfully by Martin Sheen. In the same way that Bartlet was intelligent, passionate, noble, yet folksy with a modern attitude could describe the whole tone of the series. Sorkin was unafraid to get a little bawdy, a little quirky, a little sentimental, but all in moderation. The attitude and flaws of the characters that Sorkin created shined through, as well as their idealistic intentions and dedication to the country. Some examples include Sorkin's episodes dealing with the scandal of the President withholding his multiple sclerosis from the public. Using a dramatic assasination attempt, to segue into an origin story of how President Bartlet found his staff and came to be elected. Another was the way that Leo had to confront the President to deal with his own inner doubts and passivity and "Let Bartlet be Bartlet" with the demoralized staff reaffirming their commitment by reciting that they serve at the pleasure of the President.

When Sorkin left after a fourth season, the show inevitably changed as it was handed over to the experienced John Wells and Co. (ER, China Beach). Instead of the largely human interest and character-based stories that Sorkin told, the show became more about plot and dramatics. Instead of the idealized drama that Sorkin had created, the show focused on the political tension and the realities of working in the White House, such as dealing with senators, the media, and the general public in carrying out policy. The show continued to be written in a fast-paced style, but the content became more policy-oriented and intellectualized rather than the down to earth, everyman, relatable approach that Sorkin had fostered. Some examples include the budget cap issue which precipitated into a government shutdown. Tensions and conflict which were fostered by Wells for dramatic material within the normally united staff members. However, John Wells' concentration on tougher political issues and plot, led him to deal with exciting, larger topics such as the Palestine-Israel conflict, saving Social security, and electing a female Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

Currently, the show is in its seventh season and is striking a balance between covering the contrasting attitudes and kinetic feel of a political campaign for president on both the Democratic and Republican sides, and going back to whatever familiar characters remain at the White House dealing with a slowly dwindling Bartlet second term. The introduction of Alda and Smits as political candidates and pushing the show out of the confines of the White House to hit the trail has injected tons of energy and change into the series. Unlike previous series' when characters stay in relatively the same proximity to each other for the life of the show, this show has allowed new challenges and developments to happen to their characters, and have managed to take the cameras out of the West Wing and onto new unfamiliar surroundings, character dynamics, while continually providing information and commentary on political campaigns, media dealings, and the work that all these politicos do. I can't wait to see how the series concludes.
  • Life inside the White House.

7.1
    Let\'s face it, The West Wing died when Tommy Schlamme left. I keep saying I\'m going to give it one more episode. I still love the characters, but there is a vast difference between the past West Wing and the present West Wing. Why on earth did they choose to speed up the time of the Bartlett administration? If they had used one season per year in the White House, they could have had eight years! I don\'t really care who the next president is going to be. I\'m just irritated that they changed everything. This show used to be great, but then they killed it.
  • Can it get any better?

The new season of The West Wing reaffirms our innate belief that good does exist in the world, and more startlingly, in the world of TV-land.

Martin Sheen, once again, shines with scintillating light as Jed BArtlett. One huge shock was the re-inclusion of Jimmy Smits as Santos, a worthy successor to the Bartlett crown. But we are left with a little dilemma after last year's revelations of Smit's departure from the show.

As is often the case with prime-time shows they don't want us to work out too much of th plotline in advance. Take, for example, the excellent 24's multiple versions of season ends, The Wing seems to be folloring this tack

My personal nightmare is waiting to find out who the new President is, a most cruel and unrequired joke on the part of the authors
  • I missed the first episode of the season! Had my calendar all geared up to remind me. Darn cold medicine. I vow, never again to sleep through!

I love the passion the characters have about things that truly matter. Ethics and morality are clearly spelled out. These people are not in it for the big bucks but for the future and betterment of mankind. I let Toby Zeigler be my guide or barometer so to speak of what is and is not important in this life. I will truly miss this show when it leaves.
  • Best directed, written, acted drama on television

This show is a testament to casting. Everbody is perfect from the smallest role to Martin Sheen.
    beyond that the most important thing this show does is that it educates the watcher about issues affecting america and the world, sure it's left wing but hell so am I. the production values are high, i especially like the way they've recreated the west wing and the oval office with such detail it brings alot of weight to the show. the single camera work also adds alot.
    The show right now is in a huge moment of change and it will be interesting to see where it goes, but i'm sure it will remain entertaining whatever happens
  • Arrested development is my favorite comedy, this one is my best ever...

Well this is not a tv series, ti see it as a documentary of how things work behind the scenes not only on the usa goverment but in every goverment..
    Some times it shows also the bad things that goverments do, so people should start to watch it and understand some things...
    Wonderful cast, attention to every detail...really thing its the best ever...
  • A wonderful show that mixes politics and humor beautifully, with great plot stories.

The West Wing is one of the best shows on television, even if you’re not really into politics because they take the boring aspect of the government and make it interesting and funny. A dash of humor with a great cast mix, equals a perfect show! They debate political views and they try to make their show accurate but yet they create interesting situations that keeps their viewers watching. I think that they need more Republicans on the show though, to really stir up their political view. You can also learn a lot of strange, little facts on this show. This show has great plots, actors, sets, and is just a great show on television, it brings a new type of show to watch and love!
  • The absolute best Drama on television.

The West Wing is the Best Drama show on television today. It is wonderfully written and acted. The plot lines (the kidnapping of the Presidents Daughter, an attack on US personell in Gaza, etc...)really make you pause and think about what if it really happened. Not to mention the facts and figures used by the characters are alomost always right on. The writers of the West Wing have always been and continue to be the best in the industry.
  • This is the best TV show, ever!

This show is almost perfect. The only thing I don't like about it the theme music. It is BANAL!

Great characters, great stories and topics, inspirational, moving, provocative, funny, memorable, mostly well acted, some fabulously acted, very informative, and enormously enjoyable.

Martin Sheen's portrayal of the Josiah Bartlett character is totally convincing and fabulous, even though it has been a bit fluid and has gone through some changes over the seasons. The show has changed a bit, so it is natural that some of the characteristics of each character change a bit as well.

The best TV show of all time!
  • The novelty of The West Wing may have worn off, but its firecracker dialogue, complex characters, and intelligent scenarios remain top notch.

Martin Sheen and Stockard Channing play President Jeb and First Lady Abbie Bartlet, working off of each other in witty scenes involving the kind of multi-layered relationship management one would expect from such a high-profile couple. The President's staff includes Season One veterans Spencer, Lowe, Bradley Whitford, Allison Janney, Richard Schiff, Dule Hill, Janel Moloney, and Kathryn Joosten. Each has a well-rounded character and a perfect mix of professional- and private-life happenings defined by Sorkin's pen. These actors have dream jobs and they know it.
    As the seasons pass, it seems as though the series is running out of plots (it maybe due to Sorkin's departure). Hopefully with the upcoming presidential election, the series will be revitalized.
  • I Love This Program

When I first learned of this program, my first thought was "Oh no! A show about the White House? It's gonna be filled with political BS." And then, when I saw who was to play the President, I thought "Oh man, it's starring Martin Sheen?!?! He's gonna make it a soapbox for all of his causes."

Consequently, I didn't watch it for about four and a half years.

I discovered it one day while flipping the channels one afternoon, and landing on BRAVO. It was an episode from Season 2, "In This White House", and when I saw this scene:
    Josh: "Toby, come quick, Sam's getting his butt kicked by a girl."
    Toby: "Ginger, get the popcorn."

I found myself laughing.

As I watched the episode, I grew to like it, both the episode, and the program. By the time I finished watching the following episode, I was hooked. I make it a point to watch every episode as many times as I can.

I have the first four seasons on DVD, and I will most assuredly get all subsequent seasons.

I like all of the characters, but there are a few that are favorites, and while I like the character of C.J. Cregg, I admit to not being thrilled when the episodes that focus on her are shown. And even though Aaron Sorkin has not written an episode since Season 4, and is no longer involved with the program, except to do commentary on the DVDs, I still love the program and will continue to watch it.

At least until the election results. ;o)
  • Charming and intelligent drama

The west wing is an utterly fantastic show that revolves around the lives of people who happen to work with the president in the white house. i bought the first series as i it was reduced and thought it would give me something to watch, wow was i addicted after watching the first series, i went into W.H.Smith's the next day and ordered all the rest on DVD and i now watch the episodes religiously on sky - repeats and all. it is a fantastic show, which has a brilliant script making the programme enjoyable, interesting and gripping, sometimes very emotional, but most of all the acting is amazing and the characters are flawless! Martin Sheen is incredible as is Allison Janney, john spencer, bradley whitford and janel maloney, who are among my favourites but this programme led me to Stockard Channing who is a godsend, i now own 1/2 of her movies and if you haven't seen any i recommend them as she is a very versative actress! comedy = six degrees of separation! others - truth about jane, to wong foo julie newmar, and isn't she great. but back to the west wing, really, WATCH it as your missing out if you don't. (but watch a few episodes before you make up your mind as you occasionally get a weird one)
  • The West Wing is a fictional behind-the-scenes look at life in the White House; not only for the President, but for his senior staff members.

This show is, by far, my favourite on television.

Of course, as a huge West Wing fan, I hold a place in my heart for the creator and original writer of the series, Aaron Sorkin. There is no denying that the show has gone downhill since his leaving the show at the end of the 4th season, but it still remains the smartest and most informative drama on television.

The writing is witty, hilarious and moving, and the show is perfectly cast. President Bartlet and his staff become more than just regular TV-characters to the viewers.

If only this show was what Presidential politics were really like.
  • Getting stronger.

I almost quit watching West Wing two seasons ago as the plots were getting tougher and tougher to follow, mainly due to the lose nature of the writing. Then last season some really strong story lines developed and held throughout the year. I'm looking forward to this years season and assume the show is running toward an ending season, but it has been a good run so far.
1 2 3 4 5 6