The West Wing

NBC (ended 2006)

AJMeredith

The West Wing Fan Reviews (154)

• Best writing on television.

I started watching West Wing on DVD a couple years after the show debuted. I got hooked from the start and somehow managed to watch three entire seasons over the course of a month.

The series is smartly written, and features an excellent ensemble cast. Can't wait to see who wins the election!
  • Formerly a 9 or 10, this show has been going downhill for me.

Since the departure of Aaron Sorkin, the dialogue, character development and plotlines have suffered. This season, I really missed seeing the cast performing as an ensemble. I found the scenes between Josh Limon and his candidate to be repetitive and whiny. I miss the old spark. Let's hope the next season improves.
  • The West Wing is NBC's fictional rendering of a Democratic office and features President Bartlet & his diverse staff including a press secretary, vice president, and other secretaries who help the president make his decisions. In the recent season, the ne

The West Wing began in 1999 facing on President Josiah Barlet, a Democrat who is elected and sworn into office. Bartlet is accompanied by his vice president, as well as several secretaries who help deal with the latest issues happening. The show also faces on treaties made by other countries, conflicts (especially with Cuba), as well as personal issues like the kidnapping of Josiah Bartlet's daughter, and the assasination attempt of Josiah Bartlet.

Recently, the presidential election has become an important issue. Democrats elected a candidate, and Republicans are going to the convention in the show's 7th season. Throughout its first 5 seasons, though, it remained a staple in the face of television. Though ratings decreased during its previous 3 seasons, it still remains a staple, and constant Emmy winner....

The West Wing airs Sundays @ 8 this fall on NBC as well as Mon.-Thurs. at 7 pm on Bravo. A lot of seasons are also available on DVD.
  • The West Wing is a brilliant drama support by an amazing ensemble of a cast...

The West Wing is a brilliant drama support by an amazing ensemble of a cast. I originally started watching this show in the beginning of the sixth season but recently at the prodding of a friend have started watching from the first season only to find what I though to be an amazing show already was incredible. The departure of Aaron Sorkin really did change the show but it is still an astounding production.
  • please let the republican win!!!

THIS is a great show that is being brought down by the addition of new cast. Jimmy smits, the democratic candidate for president is really bringin g the show down. I guess its hard for anyone to replace someone as great as martin sheen but i believe this man to be a major annoyance to a great show. Also, the shows nameis the WEST WING and when the show veers from the white house, things go downhill. I have grown to like to republican candidate, played by alan alda. I sincerely hope he wins as he is a fine actor and would be an asset to the show. This next season will be extremely interesting to see what direction the writers choose to take!
  • A great show to see what life is like inside the White house, how every little mishap can lead to dissaster.

The West Wing is an incredible show. Firstly because it shows an indepth realistic look inside the Executive branch of our government. It is humourous, witty, dramatic, creative, and has remarkable story lines. You don't have to have graduated from College to understand the main plots. I highly recommend this show to anyone.
  • Oh, to have Sorkin back, or even just anybody who knew how to write for this show...

I started watching this show from the beginning because I like Martin Sheen. It was fast-paced, smart, and emotional -- ranging from crying because it's so funny to crying because it's the saddest thing you ever heard.

Note I said, "was fast-paced, smart, and emotional." Not so much lately.

The first season is my favorite, then two and three and four in that order, go figure. I will sit down and watch basically any one of these fine episodes again, even if I really do have something better to do with that particular hour. Sure, things came up that bothered me (killing Mrs. Landingham was a major problem), but nothing that made me stop watching.

Season 5, I thought, was horrible the first time around. Characters were bickering at each other, and the show just went very dark. I read an account in TV Guide that said John Wells blamed the loss of funny on 9/11. Nice try, but 9/11 happened before Season 3 began airing, and that season was funny like the show always was. I did think "The Supremes" was a particularly good episode, not just for that season, but for the series. I hated that they killed Fitz at the end of the season, but not Donna (sorry, she bugs me).

Now that I watched bits of Season 6, I like Season 5 more than I used to. Talk about not knowing where half of the stuff came from, and the funny did not come back. Will changed drastically, and I couldn't stand him anymore -- I loved him when he first appeared in "Game On". What was up with Leo having a heart attack? Was that necessary? Props to the addition of Leo to the Santos ticket, but I was hoping for that when Jed ran for re-election. If any character should have been killed on this show, it should have been Hoynes.

I'd put "Going downhill fast" or "past its prime" in the Classification box, but because I so adore the first few years, I marked it as a personal favorite. I don't think it will pick up much speed in the future, and certainly never be as good as it used to be, but it could at least just stop going down the toilet for a little while.
  • West Wing Is More Balanced Than You Realize

I hear time and time again that this show comes from a very liberal point of view, and it may have started out that way considering its creator. But I don't think it's true any more. Not only did the writers (post-Sorkin) show the conservative side by introducing strong Republican characters, but the entire foreign policy of the Bartlett administration is very neo-conservative. Toby's "they'll like us when we win" speech is at the core of our current foreign policy to deal with threats before they occur. Give it a chance, it may be more balanced that you realized.
  • This show will capture and drag you in!

An amazing show that even if you don\'t agree with their politics draws you in and hooks you. Its supported by an amazing cast, especially the 6th season with the arrival of Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda (sp?). Every episode leaves you wanting more. Wanting to know who did what or who won.
  • Started off excellent, died down a bit, went straight back to one of the best shows on TV and who can wait for Season 7?

This started of a slow show, you thought about a political show and how would it work, would it be an esoteric type show or for the masses? Well it's both in effect, as a UK citizen some things go over my head but thankfully the character balance is perfect enough. Donna is the strongest character and is there as the voice of the audiance like "what are you talking about!?" and they'll explain to her.

The dramatic storylines every season just make you want to cry, Season 1 starting with a basic storyline and ending with a dramatic ending which left you instantly wanting more, Season 2 having an exceptional middle then a dramatic climatic finale which again made you want to cry your heart out.

Season 3 went partially downhill, it wasn't too strong, only a few strong episodes but then Season 4 was the best, one of the strongest Seasons of any TV show ever, then we had the departure of Arron Sorkin, who practically made the show what it is today... this left a new writer (John Wells) to take over the helm and for Season 5 nothing much came, which to be honest comparing to Season 4 how could anyone top that?

Season 6 then came, it felt like a political ER (I'm not saying that's a bad thing) but it had a great pace and left you unsure of moments, a few goofs but a serious immersion into each of the characters and the end of the Season we're left with again a climatic finale of the fight between two candidiates for the presidency post the Barlett era, "It's on" would be the You Got Served phrase how can something so simple be so dramatic.

The candidates for the 7th Season takeover of the Presidency seem too good, on the one hand you have a liberal republican who has republican values (such as low taxation) but is less controversial than the standard republicans (such as being a strong christain) he is the best of both worlds (Alan Alda). On the other hand we have a liberal who believes in the issue, wants to tackle things head on, loveable character with his latino background (Jimmy Smits) and you can't help but love both, you really do wish both would win.

How the story plays out, only time will tell but Season 6 has picked up straight where Season 4 left off, If you ignore Seasons 3 and 5 this show really is the strongest out there and well worth the watch, lets hope it doesn't go down the drain!
  • I watch a lot of television, and, believe me, I mean a LOT. Approximately 10 hours a day I see as much shows as I can and I live to love almost every show, but if I had to choose just one show I’d choose the West Wing.

I watch a lot of television, and, believe me, I mean a LOT. Approximately 10 hours a day I see as much shows as I can and I live to love almost every show, but if I had to choose just one show I’d choose the West Wing. I mean, I love Alias, and Lost, the CSI's and Desperate Housewives, Friends is an all time favorite, and don't even get me started on 24, and I’d never miss Gilmore Girls, but I’d give them all up for the West wing. And it has nothing to do with their movie-like perfect production, it's the writing, there is nothing like it. A show capable of making politics more entertaining than the soap-lives of the O.C. is definitely worth watching.
  • One of the best political dramas ever. After seeing the first season on dvd i am buying every single one that airs...

One of the best political dramas ever. After seeing the first season on dvd i am buying every single one that airs. Martin Sheen and all the other characters are perfect in their roles and show that even politic can be very dramatic and interesting. I am anxious about the comming season.
  • There are only 3 shows on tv ( othere then one Soap Opera daytime) that I think so highly of I can't even say which is first.BUT here they are in no particular order West Wing 24 and all the L & O's The other dramas ar

As I watch W.W. I wish that our preident(s) were more like Martin Sheehan's President or Dennis Haycourts ( 24). In other words honest and all for the People. It has integrity, and excelent acting. All of the actors, not just one IS THE SHOW
    I really would love to see Rob Lowe back, it was a great part for him

• There didn't used to be a better show on TV!

I watched The West Wing for the first time a couple of years ago. I watched two episodes in a row - The Women of Qumar and Bartlet for America. There was no continuity between them, there were too many cast members, too much going on and they were talking far too quickly.
    Despite this, it won Emmys year after year and I couldn't figure out why so I thought what the hell I'll buy the first season on DVD. Three weeks later I owned the first four seasons on DVD, had devoured them and was begging for more. Why? Because this show is like no other (except maybe Sports Night, which was also written by Aaron Sorkin and apparently shares much of the same material). Visually, the show is cinematic: with the best examples of this in episodes like the Premier episode, In Excelsis Deo, In the Shadow of Two Gunmen and Two Cathedrals - but apparent throughout. The acting is spot on: the first four series lack a poor performance and as for the writing, my good God the writing is incredible, literally incredible. In the episodes where these three factors are at their best, it leaves the audience mesmerised and thirsty for more. Fine examples of this can be seen in every season's premiere and finale episodes up until season four - my personal favourite being Two Cathedrals which has me close to tears every time because of the way it manages to hit every beat it should. There was a review over at TV Tome for the episode entitled: Television Doesn't Get Much Better than This. I'd have to disagree - it doesn't get any better than that!
    So if I am so in love with The West Wing, why have I only given it 8.9/10? Well, partly because I can't get the point to settle on 9 but also because of the departure of Aaron Sorkin. The season five DVD was released not so long ago in the UK and it arrived by mail order, I watched it like every other season of the show: in about 3 days. But unlike any other season of the show, I was left disappointed - the show had lost something really special. With Aaron Sorkin's departure, the show's unrivalled humour departed, and with the departure of Thomas Schlamme (and from what I understand a big chunk of their budget) gone so was the cinematic quality of the earlier seasons. But, to be honest, I could have coped with that. What I couldn't cope with was the departure of the element that made The West Wing like no other network television series: its cleverness. In the previous seasons I watched the show and never saw the next line coming, or the next plot twist or anything of that variety at all. Season five seemed to adopt a strange policy of: intelligence for dummies. More episodes in season five were named in foreign languages and started to tackle issues in a "Beverly Hills, 90210" manner. Towards the middle of the season it all got better, I enjoyed episodes like Shutdown and Slow News Day, which managed to incorporate that fantasy element and some of the smart writing that had been missing in the rest of the series but still didn't manage to rediscover that unique quality that kept me enthralled throughout the first four seasons.
    I haven't seen season six yet, but I hated the end to season five where all of our main characters seem to dislike at least one other member of the cast. I pray that season six doesn't follow on from that.
    I loved The West Wing; it showed that people would watch good and intelligent TV. It was set apart from every other TV show on air because of that. Today, it seems now to be fitting in nicely with every other show on TV, and no longer shines with the uniqueness it once possessed.
  • Daily Life in a fictional WHite House. Tackling issues relevant to today's political environment.

Despite the show's Democratic slant, it really does try to portray both sides of an issue making valid points for both conservatives and liberals. I never really liked politics or understood the issues, but after getting hooked on this show (due to it's edgy, witty, fast paced writting) I find I am much more interested in government and how things get done (or don't). The acting is top notch and difficult dialogue is pulled off masterfully. The show's energy has declined somewhat since the departure of Aaron Sorkin (writer, creator) and Rob Lowe (actor), but the remaining cast are still fun to watch and some issues are well covered.
  • The West Wing is one of television's greatest shows, there is no arguing about it. It continually out does its self each season with an exceptional cast and stories. A must watch for everyone.

I started watching West Wing when it started in 1999 and never missed an episode since. The writing on the show is of the highest quality which only makes it that much better. Also you can really get into the characters and side with them as they live their lives in the West Wing. As I watched the show unfold it made me wish that we could people of that caliber in our real life White House. The cast and crew of the West Wing make politics more interesting and far more entertaining than it already is. The show has had its ups and downs especially with the loss of Aaron Sorkin but John Wells did a superb job of recovering the show during its six season. This show is like ER in the fact that their is the potential for the show to go on indefinately because the issues that they address are ones that our government faces and has yet to resolve. I hope more people will come and enjoy the West Wing especially at its new time slot. You won't regret watching it. And I recommend that you all go out and get the first four seasons on DVD they are that good!
  • Simply the best.

I was not a regular viewer of the West Wing, so this show has been discovered by me through the release of all the DVD seasons and also through the reruns of Bravo. I got a chance to see this season's finale. My father has been telling me to watch this show for years. He repeatedly told me this show was "staggering". After watching the first episode of the first season, I called my Dad and said "oh my gosh, Dad, this show IS staggering". I literally sat there glued to the show, not moving, not wanting to miss a single word, a single movement. It's one of those shows you forget to close your mouth--because you are so stunned by the emotion, the drama and the sheer brilliance of the writing. I have never seen a show of this magnitude and of this power. I cannot call this show a classic--yet--because we cannot yet tell if it will withstand the passage of time. Something tells me that it will however, and we will learn something by repeated viewings of this show. This show is a gift to all Americans--a teaching tool that permits us to see both the flaws and the strength of our government. It is, to my mind, mandatory viewing!
  • Just a Great Show to Watch

Before i started to watch the West wing i honestly wasn't into politics that much at all. But after seeing what goes on in a fictional white house, My Interest in the goverment has triple since west wing came on air. So not only is the west wing a great show to enjoy, it help people like me to really get involve and to really understand what goes on in the real world of politics. From watching c-span, to cnn, everything. So i want to thank West Wing for opening my mind a little bit more.
  • Removing the Disgrace from the Office of the President.

After, Nixon, it was all over. Sure, the United States had certainly had lousy presidents in the past, the particularly stupid ones having the biggest scandals (Grant's Whiskey Ring and Harding's Teapot Dome), but America always managed to overcome. But America also didn't have TV, perhaps the biggest paradigm shift in U.S. politics since its inception.

So perhaps it's fitting that TV have the ability to return pride to the office of the President. After seeing misery plague our televisions with images of the Vietnam War, the Iranian hostages, vomiting on the Prime Minister of Japan, and adultery. So in 1999, Aaron Sorkin's The West Wing decided that perhaps America was ready for a smart show about the White House and the politics within.

[This review only refers to the first four seasons. As most fans know, after Sorkin left the show decayed into something uglier which I will not bother to discuss here.]

Make no mistake, The West Wing IS a fairy tale. It's what government is at its best. Yes, the administration of Josiah "Jed" Bartlet (Martin Sheen) has its difficulties, but its mostly Sorkin looking at recent political events and saying "here's what they should have done".

For instance, the first half of the first season shows an administration a year and a half into its first term and in search of the idealism and drive that the Bartlet campaign had. This is clearly a jab at Clinton who always seemed incapable of making a partisan decision that might piss some people off.

But after the episode "Let Bartlet Be Bartlet", the staff decide to push a liberal agenda and let the chips fall where they may. This is probably the biggest reason for the removal of Mandy (Moira Kelly) who, as a media consultant, was more about looking good than being good, which Sorkin decided shouldn't be the ethos of the show and such a character would be inappropriate by conveying such a message.

Though flawed, the first season of The West Wing is quite strong. The actors WERE these characters from the start. While the entire cast is excellent, I believe some respect should be cast towards Rob Lowe. He was usually overshadowed by his fellow castmates, but the man went from someone who could only score sleazy villains (Wayne's World and Tommy Boy) due to his sex scandal to being one of television's most charming men, with his amusing faux pas and his heart firmly on his sleeve. And obviously, his decision to leave the show in the fourth season was not a poor one as the show's quality declined sharply from season five onward. Although he has yet to match the success of The West Wing, I believe Lowe earned his respect back with every episode of this show.

Now that I've written that love letter, let me get back to the show.

Season Two is the show's best season. It fixes all the small problems from the first season and then refuses to rest on its laurels. The season ends with arguably the best dramatic hour of fictional television ever, "Two Cathedrals". Between the beginning of Dire Straits' "Brother in Arms" to the end of the episode, I usually end up in tears, chills, or both.

Season Three is probably my least favorite of the first four seasons. It starts off slow and ends slow, but in between has some of the best episodes in the show's history ("The Indians in the Lobby", "Bartlet for America", "The Two Bartlets", "Night Five", and "Hartsfield's Landing"). I believe the show's rocky start can be attributed to 9/11 and the confusion of whether to keep the show so liberal in a time of necessary national unity or to stay the course. Dealing with 9/11 directly with "Isaac and Ishmael" and then taking a look at the show from a real-world perspective with the Documentary Special, detracted from the fairy-tale aspect of the show and I'll explain why that's a problem in a bit. As for the close of the season, I believe it falls short mainly because the C.J.-stalker storyline isn't very strong and the drama of murdering Sharif isn't handled very well.

It's interesting how the problems of West Wing: S4 become clear when seeing it as an entire story arc rather than on a week-by-week basis. That's not to say I think that it's a bad season, but it's obvious that Sorkin is setting up his departure and doing it in the worst way, partly because the show never seemed to bother with character exits (Mandy, Ainsley, Zoe) and even this season, it doesn't know how to let Sam go. We're told that he'll become a senior counselor if he loses the election, but senior counselor to whom? But back to the story arc problems, Zoe is reintroduced so she can be kidnapped at the end of the season. We never saw Zoe and Charlie break up so there's an obvious disconnect with the viewer. Then they remove VP Hoynes for the sole reason of not having a VP when Bartlet has to step down in the season finale.

But why? Why not just have Hoynes assume the presidency instead of the Republican Speaker of the House? Two reasons: 1) It's better dramatic material; and 2) it helps mirror his own situation. The way I've heard it is that the reason Sorkin left is because Warner Bros (who produced the show) couldn't handle is writing style any longer. Sorkin writes under pressure so pages would be coming to the set as they were being written. Obviously, this is a bit of a problem when you have about 100 people who are getting paid for just standing around. So Warner Bros. lays down an ultimatum: either Sorkin changes his writing style or he's gone.

But then you have to ask, why now? Why after four seasons? The reason is that even though the show continued to win Best Dramatic Series at the Emmys, it began to lose in the ratings to The Bachlorette and as studios are in the business of making money, not making art, it was clear that Sorkin's writing style couldn't be handled any longer.

Obviously, Sorkin decided to leave and his leaving is paralleled in the show. If you see Sorkin writing himself as Bartlet it follows: Bartlet is put into the position where his daughter (the show) is taken away from him. In order to save her without compromise, he steps down. But he steps down not with his chosen successor, but with the capable-yet-flawed next-in-command (John Wells) taking over.

Still, season four is great and I think if Sorkin had stayed on he would have made the character of Will Bailey (Joshua Malina) as memorable as he had made the character Jeremy (also Malina) in Sports Night.

Also, if ever there was an episode to rival "Two Cathedrals" as The West Wing's greatest, it would be "Commencement".

So why do I like the fairy tale aspect of the show so much? Why embrace what others might cite as the show's weakest aspect? Because realism is the last thing a show like this needs. We all know the the harsh reality of politics and it's has made us cynical and disgusted towards our government. The shortcomings of the political process should be pointed out by The Daily Show (seeing as real news organizations seem averse to actually doing their jobs). But a fictional show such as The West Wing has the ability to inspire, and I believe the first four seasons do just that. They make us believe that a small, dedicated group of people can change the world for the better. They make us believe that great oratory can lift the hearts and minds of the people to do great things. They make us understand that partisanship can be a good thing and that we should have great debates about the issues affecting our country.

The West Wing was a show that could make us smarter, better people, and to me, that's fictional television at its finest.
  • Fabulous show! The writers give a fairly clear picture of the ins and outs of Washington politics; an explanation of our nation’s constitution by means of humor mixed in with plenty of present-day headline-type situations to keep everyone interested!
    This show is probably the best on modern television! The writing is almost always dead on. Episodes range from the up-to-the-minute headline occurrences everyone is talking about to the most esoteric topics one could imagine, but always interesting.
    There have been several characters to come and go from the show, with many of the original cast members (Sheen, Channing, Janney, Schiff, Spencer, Hill, Whitford and Moloney) still remaining with the exception of my favorite. Played by Rob Lowe, Sam Seaborne brought a quality to the Bartlett Whitehouse totally unique to him. Not a little boy but not quite all grown up either, his humor was most self-effacing, yet he could be counted on to come through in an emergency, such as at Rosslyn when he pushed C.J. Craig down in order to save her life.
    The next season will likely bring a great deal of change to the program however, since the latest election brought the new President Santos (Jimmy Smits) administration to the Whitehouse. Although there will be some old faces staying behind from the Bartlett presidency, it remains to be seen who will be running the show for this new organization. We’re pretty sure Leo and Josh will be there but what’s to happen to everyone else? It’s going to be exciting to find out this next season (just like the next real-life election!)

• The West Wing is a glimpse at what life is like when working at the White House.

This show is fabulous on so many levels. It shows the fast-paced life of White House staffers.It gives the viewer the opportunity to see how many different legislative processes occur. It is informative and entertaining. Each and every episode provides a perfect balance of the political issues at hand along with glimpses into each staffer's life and personality. No matter how many times I see an episode I am never bored and almost always catch something new I had never noticed before.
  • Sad to say this show is falling fast...

I'm one of those original West Wing Junkies. After 4 great seasons, they fired the creator, Aaron Sorkin. The first year after that, the show was of a quality normally reserved for those being walked behind the shed to be SHOT...Now that the new writters are on their feet, the show is simply ok. If you loved it before, DON'T WATCH. If you've never seen it, then I would say this: there are a lot of worse things you could be doing. Not a strong endorsement, eh? Great actors cannot save a badly written show.
  • For anyone in love with politics, or just in love with what happens behind-the-scenes should be addicted to this show, like me.

Possibly the best live-action show on televsion, the West Wing tells us everything that happens so Mr. President looks good.

First off, Press Secretary C.J. adds to the shows witt with her cunning additude and constant fear of anything funny. However, the writers have found a way to make just about any joke on the show somehow involve her, whether it's making her wear a hat because she lost a bet with the president, or having her go camping.

Now, housewives I can picture doing this, but the President? Martin Sheen portrays a president with just enough of a love of American life to put what is in his nation to the test. How would you like to be the lucky Butterball Turkey operator who gets to speak with the President. (He tells the operator he is from Kansas, and has one of his advisors quickly find the zip code for his "town".)

Those are just my two favorites, but there is a wonderful supporting cast from Donna, the unlucky secretary who has to work for her constantly screaming "boss" (Donna!) who just happens to be in love with her. Too bad she's already married. Charlie, Mr. President's assistant, plays a more serious role, but still has enough charm to teach the president how to throw a baseball while wearing a bulletproof vest. Leo is the one character I don't care for, but that's just me.

The West Wing: what goes on that the government doesn't want us to know.
  • A great show with a lot of humour and fun. But you also get to know the serious part of governing the country. Even for non Americans it is worth watching.

Although I was first very sceptical about this show it catched me right from the beginning. I think all the characters are well drawn and it is always fun to see them solving their problems. But I have to admit that the 5th season is in my opinion not very good. However the 6th season is much better and we are all waiting to see who the next president will be. However I am wondering how they will include the older characters into the new presidency. Although this show is about the American President it is worth watching for non Americans as it also deals with human problems and not only specific American problems.
  • One of the best shows on TV. Its cast and writers are brilliant.

The West Wing has some of the best writing I have ever seen for a television show. Aaron Sorkin has an incredible way of writing for characters that make the audience fall in love with watching these people interact. Martin Sheen as President Jeb Bartlet is the most impressive on screen President I have ever seen. When I watch this show it makes me sad that I do not live in a world where politics are handled the way they are supposed to be but then again life would be a lot easier if it were scripted. Every week that it is on I look forward to what hot topic issue will be debated or some sly Bradley Whitford dialogue. There are very few shows that could rival the West Wing when it had its full cast including Rob Lowe although the addition of Joshua Malina (from Sports Night) was good he just wasn’t Rob Lowe. Anyways through all of its trials and tribulations the West Wing Writers can do anything, they know how to write emotions, they can make you laugh and cry and fall in love with the people they write and genuinely care what happens to these imaginary people and to that is just powerful writing.
  • Once sharp, witty, and the best drama on TV...now the West Wing is past its prime and in need of a serious tune-up.

Ah, the early years of the Bartlet administration... Sharp writing with the best dialog I've ever seen in any show. The West Wing was thought provoking, funny, serious - usually at the same time.

However, after the departure of Sorkin and company, the show went through at least a full season of dull, lifeless dialog that was a shell of its previous self. Combine that with a 'ripped from the headlines' change in direction of the stories and you have one of the most rapid falls from grace I've ever seen on TV.

The last season has started to come around, though now it is simply good, missing the previous sparkle.

Here's hoping for continued improvement in the coming seasons that can again bring magic to this deserving show.
  • First Show I Got Hooked On

This was the first show that I really got involved with and fell into the story. I am a far left kinda guy so I like it even more because I agree with most of the main characters' views. Even if you take that part out of it, it is still written amazingly well. That is why it is another of my five favorite tv shows of all time.
  • One of the best shows EVER on television.

Easily, The West Wing will be remembered as one of the best and most award winning dramas on television. The casting of this show is the key, as all the characters mesh and seem like would all be around one another. So Bartlet's a little too Democratic to most people, well the majority of the show was written by the talented writer Aaron Sorkin, so what would you have expected. The writing and quality has definitely gone downhill since Sorkin left, but I will continue to tune in until the next President is elected and then I'll watch something else.
  • Simply it is favorite show

Since it's beginning this my favorite show period. I love the stories although the writing has not been as strong since Aaron Sorkin left. The cast is strong and even the minor characters are intersting. I wish there were more shows as thoughful and as well written as this one.
  • One of the most intelligent and witty shows in television history.

The West Wing, a four time winner of the Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series, is one of the most intelligently written shows in television history. Creator Aaron Sorkin, during the four seasons he was on the show, infused his drama about the inner workings of a idealistic Democratic administration with quirky, believable characters that made the administration ideal for a real-life American government. Before the series premiered, the basic tenet of American television drama was that the shows must be either about cops, lawyers or doctors. The West Wing, with a focus on politics, changed that belief forever.

Starring Rob Lowe, Moira Kelly, Alan Alda, Stockard Channing, Dulé Hill, Allison Janney, Joshua Malina, Mary McCormack, Janel Moloney, Richard Schiff, John Spencer, Bradley Whitford, Jimmy Smits and Martin Sheen, The West Wing has secured its place as one of the most powerful dramas in television history.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6