The West Wing

NBC (ended 2006)

AJMeredith

The West Wing Fan Reviews (154)

• Best writing on television.

I started watching West Wing on DVD a couple years after the show debuted. I got hooked from the start and somehow managed to watch three entire seasons over the course of a month.

The series is smartly written, and features an excellent ensemble cast. Can't wait to see who wins the election!
  • The best that television has ever been, or probably ever will be...

I never saw The West Wing when it aired. Being eight years old when it began I imagine I would have dismissed it as the most boring thing I had ever seen. Growing up somewhat and now being able to comprehend the complexity of dialogue and the weight of the situations that are portrayed, I came across The West Wing due to nothing more than the internet. Positive review after positive review lead me to buy it on DVD and at this point I've now watched the show in it's entirety 4 times as well as having watched episodes that sprung to my mind. Aaron Sorkin really created something special with this show. From the outset of the first season you find yourself invested in the characters and the story lines alike. The pace and wit of the dialogue is what I now know is to be expected of everything that Sorkin writes. I can appreciate that there will definitely be people out there that don't like this show and never will. I think it takes a specific type of person, or mindset to really engage in this show, but once you do, you really can't regret it. There are very rarely any episodes that don't keep you entertained or at very least invested in the political situation being dealt with. The season one finale along with the season two opening even delivers quite compelling action to a show essentially about words. The show continues on form throughout Aaron Sorkin's run as the head writer, with the post 9/11 reflection on terrorism and the season four finale being personal favourites of mine. Even after the departure of Rob Lowe's Sam Seaborn and Mr. Sorkin himself, I believe that the show remains at the same level as it was before. I've seen some people disagree and say that the charm had fallen after season four, but in my opinion that isn't the case. Some of the best episodes of the shows entire run come during the campaigns of Vinick and Santos. Allison Janney and Bradley Whitford are my personal favourites of the shows ensemble, but there is not a single actor in the cast that isn't worthy of every second of the screen time they get. Even Matthew Perry's short lived turn as a lawyer delivers an impressive performance. The death of John Spencer was eerily forecast in the sixth season and it really is a shame that he didn't get to finish this journey with the rest of this amazing cast.

Overall this show is 99% perfect and really is the best thing I've ever seen. Save for the episode about C.J's dad, everything is compelling viewing and I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • John Spencer died and left a gaping hole in the West Wing. Fittingly an episode was filmed and written to honor the man, unfortunately, it flopped miserably.

Words fail on just how completely I feel this episode missed its mark entirely! I fully agree that Mrs. Landingham got a better send off that Leo did. What a crock!!

I originally wrote this as a post in a thread on the West Wing forum, but then I saw how some had actually rated this episode as good, reviewed it in positive terms and I felt the need to put in my two cents. I have edited, added to it and cleaned it up for this purpose.

Bartlett as a pallbearer?? Not without some sort of statement on how/why that was possible for sure! What a miss! I know MS strikes and then retreats, but there should have been some reference to Bartlett's determination to act as pallbearer and some sort of back-up in place in case he faltered. Without being cheesy they could have built suspense around whether Bartlett could get through it all.

No graveside service, no eulogies, no military honor guard (yes I saw them leading Leo's casket out, but I mean a 21 gun salute), nothing? No statements made in public about Leo on his behalf. No media coverage, no flashbacks, no scenes to remind us of how wonderful Leo was and why we all loved him.

Aaron Sorkin would have had Bartlett deliver a speech like the one in "Angel's" about the students who rushed back into the fire and sacraficed themselves for the lives of others. There would have been no dry eye in the house and everyone would have had the tribute burned into their minds and etched into television history, as a fitting send off for a talented actor and fine human being.

Yes, Aaron Sorkin would have known what was needed, but then almost anyone who has followed the show from episode one would have too. He would put some flashbacks into the episode to give final screen moments to Leo and a chance for us to see him at his best. There were so many wonderful moments to choose from and instead we never even got to see even one still photo of the man.

But no, not with John Wells at the helm, haphazardly slapping together an episode with total abandon to the real point of it needing to be done. John Spencer died Mr. Wells, you didn't arbitrarily kill off a character over lack of agreement on salary. You didn't write the guy off the show because his character was tired and done. On the contrary, a driving force of the entire run of your show met a tragic and untimely end, and the best you could muster up, with months to prepare and shoot I hasten to add, is this paltry piece of lackluster crap?

It is almost as if, while sitting around discussing how to deal with this tragic event, John popped his head up from having been asleep and suddenly blurted out, "Hey, I've got a great idea, lets flash to a president-elect we are never going to see in office and watch as people repeat the same platitudes about the church service and completely burn up any screen time we could have devoted to a man who gave his all for the show, on a man we will never see move forward with the show." And apparently everyone was too afraid to say, "Hey John that is not only a really bad idea, it is completely disrepectful to the memory of John Spencer!" What the hell was anyone thinking?

This was a travesty of a tribute and completely unworthy of the hard work, dedication and life that John Spencer brought to the West Wing! Add this to the top of the list of things that John Wells has to be ashamed of. You completely blew it Mr. Wells, and yes, I am super irritated about it.

I'm glad this show is over. I never thought I, of all people, would utter those words.

I can't stand how they have systematically driven this once brilliant show into the ground.

They have blazed on undaunted in their single-minded determination to strip away any remnant of what it was that made this show the most brilliant and engaging hour in television history.

What a mess, what shame, what a disgrace!!

There was a big "to do" made over Aaron Sorkin being busted for drugs and some statement made about him writing the West Wing while high. If any of that is true, I wonder if we could impose on anyone to get John Wells stoned for the remaining episodes.

I'm so fed up with having completely lowered my expectations and preparing myself for mediocrity and then not even have them able to deliver that.

Get it over with. Call in Jack Kevorkian and hook up the suicide device. It's over and I'm done! I will watch the remaining episodes for some sort of closure, but I won't even bother to expect anything other than total disappointment.

3/10 (and the 3 is only for the moving opening church service and the slightly moving scene with the president in the residence).
  • West Wing Is More Balanced Than You Realize

I hear time and time again that this show comes from a very liberal point of view, and it may have started out that way considering its creator. But I don't think it's true any more. Not only did the writers (post-Sorkin) show the conservative side by introducing strong Republican characters, but the entire foreign policy of the Bartlett administration is very neo-conservative. Toby's "they'll like us when we win" speech is at the core of our current foreign policy to deal with threats before they occur. Give it a chance, it may be more balanced that you realized.
  • The West Wing is a brilliant drama support by an amazing ensemble of a cast...

The West Wing is a brilliant drama support by an amazing ensemble of a cast. I originally started watching this show in the beginning of the sixth season but recently at the prodding of a friend have started watching from the first season only to find what I though to be an amazing show already was incredible. The departure of Aaron Sorkin really did change the show but it is still an astounding production.
  • The novelty of The West Wing may have worn off, but its firecracker dialogue, complex characters, and intelligent scenarios remain top notch.

Martin Sheen and Stockard Channing play President Jeb and First Lady Abbie Bartlet, working off of each other in witty scenes involving the kind of multi-layered relationship management one would expect from such a high-profile couple. The President's staff includes Season One veterans Spencer, Lowe, Bradley Whitford, Allison Janney, Richard Schiff, Dule Hill, Janel Moloney, and Kathryn Joosten. Each has a well-rounded character and a perfect mix of professional- and private-life happenings defined by Sorkin's pen. These actors have dream jobs and they know it.
    As the seasons pass, it seems as though the series is running out of plots (it maybe due to Sorkin's departure). Hopefully with the upcoming presidential election, the series will be revitalized.
  • Seasons 1-2 were excellent; 3-4 were good; 5 was a misfire; 6 was golden and 7 saw it stagger to a close.

Perhaps no show better embodies the importance of a stable creative hand at the helm than "The West Wing." The brainchild of Aaron Sorkin, "Wing" premiered in 1999 to critical and audience acclaim. It brought Sorkin's reckless idealism, rapid-fire, reference heavy dialogue and characters who aimed high and often fell short to a political setting, and in addition to tackling big issues also presented personal triumphs and tragedies for its characters. Boasting what may someday be regarded as the best ensemble cast in history, the show let these actors cut loose and sink their teeth into tremendous parts and scripts. I mean, honestly - before "Wing" who knew Rob Lowe was so good?

Then came the September 11 attacks, and (as cliche and ass-clownish as it is to say "9/11 changed everything") it certainly changed "The West Wing." The light-hearted element was gone. The show took a more dramatic stance and delved into multi-episode arcs about terrorist plots, overseas military engagements and wrestled with issues like torture, spying and pre-emptive military action. Essentially, it was still good, but it wasn't "The West Wing" of Seasons 1 and 2. Rob Lowe left, but Sorkin-alum Josh Malina took his place, adding a new voice and new dynamic. Things still hummed along.

Another blow (no pun intended, Mr. Sorkin) was dealt when, after Season 4, Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme left the series. Who cares why they did it, the result was that the show was suddenly without its voice and guiding hand. Season 5 was uneasy, as new writers tried first to duplicate the Sorkin style, but towards the end they began to come into their own.

Season 6 was the closest thing to the show's glory days we had seen in years. Instead of aping Sorkin, the writers were doing a quasi-Sorkin show, but without his tendency to preach too much and simplify issues. The producers also gave the show a shot in the arm by beginning to focus on the campaign to succeed Bartlet. Jimmy Smits, Ed O'Neill, Patricia Richardson, Stephen Root and the incomparable Alan Alda all came on the show in this re-election storyline while the old war horses of the White House continued their work.

Season 7 was the swan song, and a disappointing one at that. Not all of it could be helped. John Spencer, the brilliant actor behind Leo McGarry, died at mid-season and forced rewrites and changes to the story. But Season 7 was more reminiscent of the uneasy time of Season 5. Producers were unsure at first if they were wrapping up a series or laying the groundwork for a new run with a new president. They did recover at the end, however, offering a finale that was a very nice cap on seven years of great TV.

So, how do we rate "The West Wing?" Is it TV's greatest drama? No. It's not even Aaron Sorkin's best TV work (that honor belongs to "Sports Night.") However, it is a strong series that boasted strong writing for four seasons and an incredibly talented cast for all seven. It will surely rank as one of TV's best dramas and is without a doubt the career highlight for its cast.
  • With Peggy Noonan, speech writer for President Reagan, among the staff writers of the first three seasons, Aaron Sorkin's "The West Wing" brought an unmatched political realism to viewers. After season 4, John Wells took over with a new writers.

As a teacher, I love this show. It's intelligent and it gives viewers something worthwhile to think about when they think about elected officials, news media and history. When I say worthwhile I mean this is the stuff of education and healthy citizenship. We've got to know how to participate and how to discern what is meaningful from what is merely persuasive. I also love that this show instills value in the rule of law. The story lines of this show do not feature arrogant Vice Presidents who persuade attorney(s) to do their bidding in a secret effort to increase the power of the Presidency beyond the limits imposed on by our Constitution. The ending of the 3rd season was, I think, the beginning of the end for this series. In that episode, a Secret Service agent got shot. Ratings went up. Beginning with the fourth season, ratings began slipping. At end of season 4, Aaron Sorkin and the staff writers were replaced with John Wells and a new staff of writers. I'd like to see a production feature this type of dramatization for "turning points" in U.S. history such as FDR's New Deal, the Lincoln Presidency, John Marshall and the growth of the Supreme Court, etc.
  • Amazing

When I first started watching the West Wing I did it by borrowing tapes from a friend I work with. I was immediately impressed by the show but also saddened by the fact that it was canceled. It is truly the first show that I have ever watched that was both informative and entertaining. It shows the president and his posse as flawed yet productive humans. I had never been interested in politics and voted for the first time in this election of 2008. Partly due to this show and the fictional President Bartlet. He gave me hope that maybe not all politicians are liars and thieves. Then when I saw a video for Barack Obama I thought I was seeing Jed Bartlet in real life. This show also doesn't make you feel stupid but it makes you learn and pay attention at the same time. Hopefully that comment makes sense. It, unlike most shows, has a so many good qualities it hard to summarize them. But overall it is simply an amazing show, spectacular writing, amazing cast and great entertainment.
  • Spectaculor writing, great cast, fantastic finish

This was clearly the best drama television writing and performing since MASH finished on our televisions. It us a shame that political real-life doesn't compare to what we saw on our screens every week in this series. The final seasons with Jimmy Smits debating against Alan Alda are classic material. This show managed to combine great humour with impeccible moments of drama and gave us a real insight into how politics work and where our money really ends up. Whilst seemingly a vehicle for a Rob Lowe comeback to begin with this show turned into much, much more and should be remembered for years to come.
  • The lives, and lack thereof, of the most loveable White House staffers imaginable.

This show was consistently one of the best written shows on TV. The dialogue led at a pace and with a wit that recalled the days of Hollywood at a time when Hollywood was anything but ous (or good). This joins the pantheon of shows that can be credited for ushering in the renaissance of TV. This was classy entertainment in a world that seriously needs class, it was intelligent TV in a world where too often stupidity is king. It mixed reality with a healthy dose of fairy-tale and like all good fairty tales made us dream again. Bartlett for President!
  • A show about life, love, the pursuit of a greater good, it is a glimpse at what life could be like if the US had a president that truly put the people first.

Where lawyer and hospital shows dominated, this show has come into our lives for the last seven years and existed as the most unique, thought-provoking, inspirational, brilliantly filmed and acted masterpiece of the last decade of primetime. Since the pilot it has been consistent in its exquisite camera work, cinematography and of course the \"dream cast\" that was the best of its time. This show has taught me more than my political science course, not just about politics, about love, relationships, and betterment of the self. The DVD\'s are delightfully guilt-free viewing pleasure. I have no need for TV now.
  • I watch a lot of television, and, believe me, I mean a LOT. Approximately 10 hours a day I see as much shows as I can and I live to love almost every show, but if I had to choose just one show I’d choose the West Wing.

I watch a lot of television, and, believe me, I mean a LOT. Approximately 10 hours a day I see as much shows as I can and I live to love almost every show, but if I had to choose just one show I’d choose the West Wing. I mean, I love Alias, and Lost, the CSI's and Desperate Housewives, Friends is an all time favorite, and don't even get me started on 24, and I’d never miss Gilmore Girls, but I’d give them all up for the West wing. And it has nothing to do with their movie-like perfect production, it's the writing, there is nothing like it. A show capable of making politics more entertaining than the soap-lives of the O.C. is definitely worth watching.
  • First Show I Got Hooked On

This was the first show that I really got involved with and fell into the story. I am a far left kinda guy so I like it even more because I agree with most of the main characters' views. Even if you take that part out of it, it is still written amazingly well. That is why it is another of my five favorite tv shows of all time.
  • The West Wing, Seaons 1-5, fabulous! Seasons 6-? missing something!

This show will always be a classic to me. It went someplace no other show dared to go, and survived! In fact, it thrived. The writing the first five years was phenomenal, surpassed only by the acting. Season six was completely and totally plot-driven, and season seven is turning out the be the same. I hope it gets better, but, with the recent reveal of the leak being totally plot-driven, I won't hold my breath. I still watch every Sunday, hoping that it goes back to it's orignial glory. Still a show to pay attention to.
  • TV doesn't get better than this. Seven glorious years (with only one blip), huge cast, massive range of stories, and characters that stayed true until the end. Truly the rarest kind of show: an intelligent one.

I remember watching the first episode when it first aired in the UK ten years ago. I was hooked from scene one. This was an intelligent show that (almost) never compromised, and as such it's not for everyone. The West Wing never reached for the lowest common denominator of banal simplicity. With as many as four or five different threads within a single episode, often multiple 'A' stories, the sheer speed of the show is still mind-boggling. Speed in a TV show can be simulated by walking fast down corridors (a West Wing staple), but often this device is not accompanied by actual speed - speed of dialogue or idea (House, anyone?). The average West Wing script was literally twice the size of a regular 60 minute show.

But so far, we have a recipe for disaster. Big regular cast, large bank of recurring characters, intelligent, complex political plots, and dialogue speed roughly thrice that of normal conversation. Add to that Aaron Sorkin's favourite plot device, the 'quantum-leaping' stories where past, present and future events are played out with no explicit cues, and you add a level of complexity that is beyond many average viewers. How did it not bomb? Well, the actors were consistently of the highest calibre, with the most accomplished regular cast of perhaps any TV show ever; the plotting was tight and masterful; the direction was simply a joy to behold; and the writing was like music.

Yes, it's true. Actors and writer came together in a beautiful symphony of fiction that still amazes on DVD. The blazing speed of the show was belied by its fluidity. Everything flowed, and rolled, and unfolded so gracefully that a sharp viewer (the kind the creators were aiming at) could ride the story with ease - after some practice! And that's the incredible thing - effective watching of The West Wing required practice! Now that's a brave direction to go in, to rely on the patience and attention of the viewer.

Millions gave it willingly, to watch masters of their craft at work. Aaron Sorkin (writer) and Tommy Schlamme (director) created a magnificent thing. It was so improbable (Martin Sheen the president of the US?) but so completely and utterly engrossing. Razor sharp wit took its place alongside genuinely laugh-out-loud slapstick (what? slapstick? who knew Richard Schiff could do slapstick?!), high drama next to character study, through pain, joy, fear, tears and exhilaration.

For almost four years, every episode was solid gold. The show had a social conscience that was never trite or saccharine, and addressed countless issues with more honesty and good intent than anybody would ever ascribe to a real government. Episodes like 'What Kind Of Day Has It Been?', 'Noel', 'Two Cathedrals' and 'Bartlet For America' are the kinds of episodes that come along once every blue moon in most shows, with such raw power that they just blow you away every time. And Sorkin wrote episodes like that, consistently, for nearly four years. It's simply astonishing.

However, the wheels almost came off after Rob Lowe left, and for a year or so the show foundered. The writing visibly suffered after creator Aaron Sorkin left at the end of season four, and the show started to rely on melodrama to survive, where previously it had astounded by making the most trivial political routinery exciting and engaging. 'Terrorists kidnap First Daughter!' 'President shuts down federal government!' 'Car bomb in Gaza, head of the Joint Chiefs killed!' I feared the worst, but The West Wing at its lowest ebb was still head and shoulders above everything else, sitting pretty with The sopranos as the finest show of substance on telly.

Season six knocked it out of the park again, and the alternately cathartic and tense final season was a fitting end. Never afraid of pushing the envelope, or of making major changes in the character dynamic, West Wing deserves to be watched over and over for years to come.
  • Really sad writers are so bad - should never have let the originals leave - They should have brought Rob Lowe back as the surprise candidate for VP instead of Leo McGarry (especially since he wasn't well enough to be advisor to the Pres)

6.6
    How difficult would it have been for the writers to have realized (for what ever money it would have cost) to have brought back Rob Lowe to be VP candidate right from the beginning and pump up the audience - would have gained new fans and brought back old ones. Tired of seeing the back and forth with Josh and 'whats her name'. And where the devil did the daughter go? The most endearing part of the West Wing were the multiple story lines each episode that seemed to parallel with a sort of common theme but different outcomes like 'fathers' or 'memories'.
    The sad part is I would rather watch some of the first couple seasons 100 times than waste time on Sundays now. I especially like Lilly Tomlin's character and they have totally wasted it - no scenes where there should be as she should be the first face before the oval office any time scene is located there - just doesn't flow the same anymore - especially since it IS called the West Wing! Sorry to see it go, really don't think they had to let it get so bad and them just desert it.
  • About this program.

it had great written episodes in seasons 1-4, Main Title Theme Music in season one, casting in season 1-2, great acting for Allison Janney in seasons 1-3 & 5, Stockard Channing in season 3, Richard Schiff in season one, Bradley Whitford in season 2, John Spencer in season 3 and Alan Alda in season 7.
  • One of the best shows ever for the main reason of being able to present complicated albeit boring subject matter in a fresh way.

One of the best shows ever for the main reason of being able to present complicated albeit boring subject matter in a fresh way. Despite the liberal leanings of the writers, they brought in conservative consultants and certainly presented both parties in a fair light. The comedy was also excellent using the setting to create believable situations even given the gravity of where all the staff worked. Following Season 5 where they struggled a bit, Season 6 rebounded, though the transition from the old administration to the new one was handled somewhat awkwardly. This show honestly could have continued, there was a lot of ground to cover, though sadly like another classic, Homicide: Life on the Street, the show only managed to last 7 years. The irony is it basically lasted the Bush years, and now with a Democrat being back in the White House, the show is gone. A weird situation to say the least. The lists of parallels between the series and reality continues to grow as it was uncanny how the 2008 Presidential race mirrored The West Wing's. Classic.
  • An exceptional show in every possible way. I truly miss it.

Well I would like to start by sharing abit about myself. I'm a 24 year old male living in little old New Zealand. I've never really been interested in politics, nevermind American politics. I've never really been into 'dialogue driven' shows. I tended to enjoy my television with violence and lots of expletives. That was all unto I discovered the greatness of the West Wing.

Now I was shopping for DVD's at my local when I saw The West Wing Season 1 on the shelf for a cheap price and decided to give it ago. Boy was I grateful I made that choice. I sat down and watched the first episode and took much enjoyment seeing President Bartlett make his first appearance telling Mary Marsh to get the hell out of his White House. From that moment I was hooked. I watched upto the assaisnation attempt in two sittings. I than went out the next day and brought the next 3 seasons.

I think you can see from that experience I had become a West Wing addict. Since then ive watched the whole 7 seasons twice and multiple episodes many times. And I also now take an invested interest in American Politics (obviously the real politicians are alot less interesting) and thoroughly enjoy 'dialogue driven' dramas. There have been many exceptional and memorable moments throughout the 7 seasons, from the assassination attempt on Charlie, to Zoe's kidnapping, to the death of Leo. These moments greatly changed the landscape of network television which many shows tried imitating but greatly failed. Being a character driven show, the characters need to be appealing, and this show has them in spades. CJ, Leo, Bartlett, Toby, Josh, Charlie, Donna and many others are characters you can really do care about, you feel sad for them on their bad days, and you feel happy for them on their good days. Theyre people you wish you had the privilage of knowing for real. And the guest stars across the board are also exceptional with great actors playing them, many you wish would come back as recurring characters. A stand out character and actor for me really was John Spencer and his character Leo. It was exceptionally sad hearing about the actors death and seeing the character Leo on screen passing away (in Election Day Part 2 and Requiem). But boy what a tribute the the show was to this wonderful actor.

So in the end, if you are on the fence about viewing the West Wing, take the leap and watch, you wont regret it one bit. And if you already own them, watch it again.
  • love this show

i absolutely love this show and its a pity it had to end i mean hink about it West Wing without Leo McGarry not possible i cried so hard on the series finale but it was so sweet at the same time. I love the witty characterisation and the how this show relates to modern day problems which we and our governments face drama but relevant drama. i dont think there are any other political dramas out there to match this i know there waa commander in cheif and it tried but it just didnt quiet hit the mark compared to the West Wing :D
  • What an amazing show

now have every season and is truly the greatest show to ever be on television. So many emmies. A great cast and the plot and episodes can be very unpredictabler. It may just be because i am into politics and government but even so this show needs to be seen by everyone. To feel like you are that deep into the life of the president and his close staff is so cool. I can't get enough of this show and i'm not the only person. To have stumbled across this show is one thing i am sure thankful of. Michael Humphrey =)
  • This show is the best thing on television and the show that keeps me sane.

I have a theory about fans who watch this show. 25% are crazy liberals who are so sick of Bush, they escape into this show wishing they lived when Bartlet was president. 25% just love the humor and amazing characters, plot lines and everything. The rest are both.

When I buy a new season of West Wing on dvd, I have to make sure I space out how often I watch episodes, because I know I will watch them all in a row.

The characters, they are just amazing, there is not one I don't like. Charlie and Zoey are amazing together, and apart. Josh and Donna are some of my favorites too, along with Sam and Bartlet, and everyone else. They are hilarious, smart and I think of them as real people. The plot lines are nothing but sure brilliance, at least the ones I've seen, though the ones I've seen in season 7 haven't been great, all in all, the show is great!

When I watch an episode, I cannot stop smiling, usually, and then there are those heartbreaking episodes. I wish Bartlet was my president! He's fictional and so much better than Bush!

I LOVE WEST WING!!!
  • An opportunity to see behind the scenes at the white house; a highly intelligent drama with dry wit.

A TV show cannot get better. Not only do I wish this show would continue, I wish it were true. Can't someone from West Wing run for president? Can't some of that intelligence, compassion, courage and wisdom be a real part of American politics? This cast is tremendous, not a weak link anywhere. The writing is nothing short of brilliant every single season, every single episode. It ended so well too; not a drop of sentimentality and yet it left me completely satisfied. Congratulations to all who created it. It's an American Dream is what it is...and even this Canadian got off on it.
  • A well thought-out venture into politics - with emphasis on the processes of everyday White House life. Examines the effects that even the most obscure details can have on the shape of society, with scary accuracy

The West Wing is one of the few television shows I've seen from its inception until its demise and for that I'll always be grateful. The amazing cast are capable of showing what an intelligent white house staff would do to truly improve the country - often pointing out clear shortcomings in the government which are still not addressed. You realise how great this ensemble is when you truly can't pick a favourite - you'll eventually love Toby, Sam, CJ, Leo, Jed, Abbey etc so much.

You don't have to be an American to understand The West Wing; in fact, being a foreigner only makes the show that much more informative to go alongside the funny, sad, and otherwise, moments. The Crackpots and These Women is a sweet look into the fanatical edges of politics whilst being a really moving episode about humanity and its achievements.

Basically all the season premieres and finales are particularly brilliant, especially the emotional power of the season two finale. Funnily enough, the pilot and series' grand finale are the exceptions amongst these greats. Isaac and Ishmael is another notable episode, with some important insight into terrorism and a little bible-knowledge for those of us 'lacking' in our religious departments.

The West Wing will remain as one of my favourite shows of all time - a hall of fame with very few entries. It is truly worth anyone's time and brainpower. Take a peek at democracy itself!
  • They will not make another one like it for a long time.

In an age of partisanship and where people seem to have lost the sense of nationalism, this show aspires to bring light into the darkness. Its characters inpire greatness, the plots are worthwhile and explorational, and the ideas they bring may not be revolutionary, but they hold a very good truth.

The show will be missed for its great conversation pieces and dramatic performances.
  • Don\'t it always seem to go, You don\'t know what you\'ve got \'till it gone. Pave paradise, and put up a parking lot.

I can remember what it was like to watch the first episode of the first series. Broadcast in Australia around the time of Bush\'s election, I wished and hoped that the real White House was half as well run as the fictional one.

To the eyes of a non-American, West Wing could have easily been parochial. An all singing and all dancing salute to all things American, but it wasn\'t.

It had a real heart and life - and, as far as I could see, well deserved acclamation by peers and audience alike.

I know this show is winding up production in the US. For many who have been critical about the direction the show has taken since Aaron S. left, I can\'t disagree that the show has changed fundamentally. Yet I see this as different flavours of the same drink. I have my favourite shows under both producers.

I know that I won\'t be alone in missing this show when it is gone. I can\'t help wondering if there will be a last minute reprieve.

Another season. A spin off. Something.

Whatever happens, I really hope to see the \"heart\" of dramatic production resurface again. West Wing is a milestone in writing. The ability to capture the essence of a problem, look at it from many aspects, and allow the viewers the space to have their own opinions.

Do it again, Aaron.
  • As the series draws to a close, it gets better...

After watching the West Wing since the beginning, I have not been so anxious to see the next episode.

Finally after all the tention, Josh and Donna have gotten together. Only to loose Leo.

In the latest episode tap dancer extraordinaire Dule' Hill made another appearance.

Martin Sheen has played POTUS as better than real presidents could.

The cast and writing is fabulous.

Going to be sorry to see it go.
  • If only real life was like this!

Brilliantly cast and scripted, this series has been a long-time favourite of mine and I'm distraught to see it being cancelled although I don't think anyone else can replace Martin Sheen in terms of being 'presidential'.

The show shows you what it would be like to have a real president in charge of the States, dealing with all the political crap and fighting the Republican Congress. It's just a shame real life isn't more like this show.
  • Most intelligent show ever.

What I would like to do is perhaps impress upon you the importance of this show .
    First of all, it had all the pluses and the minuses of a political show. The plus side; everyone is interested - it's politics. The minus side; everyone is interested - it's politics.
    Yup, we love it, hate it, but never ignore it. Most of my friends don't watch it because it's politics and they simply could not believe the show would be any different from real politics: an egotistical fantasy ride with lots of kissing babies and wrong decisions.
    Well, West Wing should not care less.
    I actually shead a tear when I read the cover of the first season DVD cover. I won't tell you exactly what - go look it up, but it actually reveals that this world around us is as corrupt and falsely presented as it gets, and we must resort to this kind of "fantasy" to escape this fact.
    The pilot was absolutely the most intelligent beginning of any TV series I have ever encountered, with best conversations, great characterization and pacing which puts all others to shame - and it continued on this path even until today (the last season).
    Forget the politics, find a way of living to complement the awesome moral, emotional, organizational battles and the dilemma of the human nature - this show did it better than any other.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6