The West Wing

NBC (ended 2006)

AJMeredith

The West Wing Fan Reviews (154)

• Very good political drama series

This is a hard series to review. It is exceptionally well-written with good, interesting characters put in an extraordinary position: working at the White House. While naturally US-centered and portraying mostly the view of the democratic party, the series focuses a lot of energy on more general problems: doing what is right, the reality of compromise, how unbelievably complex and limiting both national and international politics can be. And it does it very well.

It is a pure political and drama series though. If that's what you want then you should definitely watch it, but don't expect a comedy or much action. There are many amusing moments, but the focus of the series is unequivocally intellectual and ethical. Sometimes you want that, but if you don't you should look elsewhere.

I must also say I was impressed by the number of actors/actresses I recognized from everywhere or nowhere. Either The West Wing launched an unbelievable number of careers or they are simply great at picking great actors from other shows. I'm guessing the truth is a mixture of the two.