The West Wing

Slow News Day

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 04, 2004 on NBC

• A strong presentation of one of the show's central themes.

It is often said that the victories of the intelligence community are never known, yet their failures are front page news. It is rare that we think of policy makers and politicians in the same terms.

In a media in which the stereotype of the opportunistic politician is all-pervasive, this intriguing episode presents the idea of a Presidential Administration securing an important political legacy, saving social security, for which it will never be truly able to take credit. Toby's willingness to fall on his sword and resign; and the President's willingness to embrace an "invisible" political legacy are powerful exemplars of the idea of public service as selflessness and sacrifice.
  • There is always some news..

I most say.. again, very well build up episode, with stunning developments and the way it was going.. all for a good cause but one man just could not keep it all together and the way it looked like a disaster in the end, with Toby resigning. That moment.. I do not know.. I was thinking: is this a one clever way to write chars off or.. but I loved the way story developed and how they solved the problem, without credit for them but still.. And the only thing that is leaving me more and more wonder is, what they are planning with Will. Moving him more and more away from the path of story? Or are they planning to bring vice president more in to the story? I am not sure.. but there is something coming, I think.