The West Wing

The Lame Duck Congress

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 08, 2000 on NBC

• 12 Unemployed Men.

Donna's griping about carpal tunnel syndrome was funny. Seems like it's been awhile since things had been calm enough for her to come to Josh with one of her inane and off-the-wall complaints. Josh's reaction was perfect,

Josh: "People that lose the ability to pinch? I gotta tell you, I don't know from where they summon the ability to go on."

Margaret's slow typing was hilarious as well. Ainsley is definitely growing on me. She was great in her scene with Sam on the Hill about the Test Ban Treaty. Plus getting him to change his mind on the position memo to congress was pretty impressive. I love her and Sam's chemistry, leads to some great back and forth.

Sam: "Wherever it was that you studied baton twirling."
    Ainsley: "That'd be Harvard Law School."

On the subject of the Test Ban Treaty, that's the kind of politics that would drive me insane. Fighting a political battle on two fronts(Sam & Ainsley and Toby & Josh, until Josh got sidetracked by the mad Ukrainian), only to get hamstrung by the one you never saw coming. However, I did really respect Senator Marino for abstaining because he had been voted out.

Senator Marino: "'Nobody expects.' Toby, it seems to me, that more and more we've come to expect less and less from each other, and I think that should change."

He reminded me of Mr. Willis from Ohio in that scene. A great man who would actually make a good contribution to politics, but is leaving. At least with Marino's case it's probably only temporary. Still it was a tough beat for the team, especially Toby.

The drunk Ukrainian politician, who wanted to meet Bartlet, got some good laughs. Reminded me of an uncle who shows up at Christmas with his less than virtuous girlfriend and proceeds to get a little too drunk and stays longer than anyone would like.

As far as CJ and Danny go, I'm not sure. I'd rather Danny stay in the West Wing(versus taking the job offer), than him and CJ have a romantic relationship, but that would probably mean they would have less scenes together. Guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

Plenty of comedy and some political drama as well. Good episode.
  • Ukrainian politic wants to see the president... and they try to call a Senat..

6.9
    I won't say it was bad episode but it did miss something - the sparkle was missed. Donna little annoyed me - her idea that she can say everything and hope it passes.. I do not know. Sometimes her char seems to have deeper story but this time it was just another pointless storyline.

The Ukrainian politic's storyline was much more interesting and showed lovely dilemma - they like him as he is reformer but there is no way to show it in public but he just needed to see the president. That storyline really had something.

Also Sam and Ainsley - their storyline was enjoyable but nothing too special.
  • The Lame Duck Congress shows us more about the relationship between the President and the Legislature, and how each can try to influence the other.

With Congress in transition between outgoing senators and newly elected members President Barlett ponders calling a Lame Duck Congress - calling back the current members - to vote on an international treaty. The Presidential staff learns of changes in their support.

At the same time they must also deal with a political reformer from Ukraine who happens to arrive at the White House drunk. He is not an official representative of his government and thus cannot be given an official meeting with the President, but Bartlett meets with him by "accident." Josh and his boss, Leo, must also contend with an organized protest of the the clerical staff supporting OSHA standards on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

As with many West Wing episodes the viewer probably learned something about the process of government in the United States. Let's hope that they continue this process of educating while entertaining.