The West Wing

The Supremes

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Mar 24, 2004 on NBC

• Probably one of my favorites of the series. Not just because of my Deirdre Lovejoy and Glenn Close obsessions, because of the superb writing.

To me, this was one of the first episodes since the departure of Sorkin at the end of the fourth season that felt "Sorkinesque". Frankly, in some moments of it I thought maybe he had ghost written it with Debora Cahn. However, this show was one of the highlights of the season for me.

One reason why I loved this episode was because for the first time I really understood the Supreme Court and how the make up of the court can really turn the balance of important issues. I rewatched this episode right after Sandra Day O'Connor announced her retirement and it reminded me so much of what is going on now. A Chief Justice was ill a lot and then the sudden surprise of a Justice departing. Although in this show, the departure was literal.

When Glenn Close walked in you pretty much knew she would probably make it on the Court, but her final position was a definite shock. I didn't imagine her being the Chief Justice or the fact that Chief Justice Ashland resigned at all. He just didn't seem like the kind of guy who'd let that chair go quickly or at all. The fact that the whole scenerio happened because of Donna's mother's cats was wonderful. Yay Meshach and Shadrach you saved the fake nation!

I loved Josh and Toby fighting it out in the Outer Oval about moderates and when Debbie spritzed Josh in the face, I thought I'd die. C.J and Ryan's uncle singing "American Pie" while drinking = priceless. I did find it odd that there was never a mention of Mendoza at all on the entire episode, since he was Bartlet's first appointee to make it to the Court However, that was my only qualm with this episode.

Beautifully written and acted, this is a standout of all The West Wing episodes IMO. It's pretty evident the reason why this episode won the 2005 WGA award for Episode Drama.